The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Born Lucky

Do I have a problem?

I am in the process of installing my rear main seal and in installing the crank seal part some of the seal cut off. The last section of the seal when I was pushing it in a thin silver cut off. It looked like the edge!
Is this normal or did I do something wrong. Should I remove it and buy a new one?
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Do I have a problem?

I take that to mean sliver and not silver? If part of the lip got cut off then yes, replace it.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Born Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
I take that to mean sliver and not silver? If part of the lip got cut off then yes, replace it.
How do I prevent this from happening again?
The install was going well till the very end, I had about 1/2 to push in then the sliver happened
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
jocko

Just in case you're not already doing it - it is a good idea to lube the seal as you put it in (or at least shoot a little oil up into the rear main bearing's seal groove before inserting so you push a little "wave" of oil in front of the tip of the seal as it goes in) - by your description, it sounds like you're doing this with the engine in the car, perhaps with a Sneaky Pete? If so, then you are experiencing the normal frustration of using one - but it's about the only option with the crank still in the engine. Bottom line, ensure the part you are just about to push in gets some 10w30 or 40 or whatever in it before you push/pull it into the upper bearing. Other than that, the only trick I know is patience - and it's in short supply when installing a rear main seal already...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Born Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Just in case you're not already doing it - it is a good idea to lube the seal as you put it in (or at least shoot a little oil up into the rear main bearing's seal groove before inserting so you push a little "wave" of oil in front of the tip of the seal as it goes in) - by your description, it sounds like you're doing this with the engine in the car, perhaps with a Sneaky Pete? If so, then you are experiencing the normal frustration of using one - but it's about the only option with the crank still in the engine. Bottom line, ensure the part you are just about to push in gets some 10w30 or 40 or whatever in it before you push/pull it into the upper bearing. Other than that, the only trick I know is patience - and it's in short supply when installing a rear main seal already...
I have the engine removed. I also prelubed the seal and everything was going smooth. Like I said in my last post when I got to the last 1/2 I noticed some rubber. a very thin peice. At that time i was thinking I am going to have to buy a NEW seal. Iguess next time around I should go even slower.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
jocko

oh, sorry about that - misunderstood, think I was linking this to an earlier thread. So, if you have the engine out, have you removed the crankshaft or are you still sliding pushing the seal into an upper main bearing with the crank in? Sounds like the latter to me - just trying to understand. If you already have the engine out, much easier to pull the crank - even though that is probably much more work than you planned on doing.

Leaks just plain suck. Something as simple as changing my oil (this week) and now, all of a sudden, my drain plug leaks like a bucket of oil a day... Probably only stopped because it's bone dry. Hope you get that thing in there soon - good luck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote