The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Truck Guy99

Talking Fixing up the family truck

[IMG]035[/IMG]

This is my Grandfathers Green 55 chevy 6400 truck and I want to restore it, but put in a Diesel motor. He said I could have it.

Here's the story,

My Grandfather bought this truck in the mid 1970's when my dad was a teen and used it as a peanut truck for a few years until he went out of buisness. My dad took off the original flatbed and he chopped 10 feet off the back part of the frame leaving about 2 foot of frame behind the axle leaving about 10 feet of frame from the rear end of the frame to the back of the cab and installed a gooseneck ball over the center of the axle shortly after. My Grandfather sold almost all of his trucks and other farming equipment except a few 3pt pieces of equipment, some trailers, and the 55 chevy. It is then parked in the back pasture to die. Fast forwards to the 90's and my dad needs a truck. He asks my grandad about the 55 chevy and my granfather says he can have it as long as he wants. My dad gets the original motor running and uses it a year or two before buying another newer truck and it is once again parked in the same back pasture to die. Now I want to get it and my Grandfather said I could have it. I am considering putting in a 12 Valve Cummins Diesel engine and 2WD, manual tranny in it and put back on the original flatbed which is about 200 feet from the truck.. I am considering cutting holes in the all steel dash and putting in A/C vents in them from the Cummins, but attatching everything to the original axles, frame, and body. Does anyone know where to get interior and body parts for the 55 chevy like an instrument panel, radio, carpet, driver and passenger side door glass, glove box, bottom cab corners, etc. or have any tips on doing this? I know it will take alot of work, money, patience, and time, but I think in the end it will be worth it. This is my first time uploading pics and if I can upload them, I will post more. Sorry if they don't come up.

Last edited by Truck Guy99; 08-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Truck Guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote