The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
379redneck

Bad power steering pump

I replaced my power steering pump only a few months ago and now my new pump is starting to cut out and make noise if I turn the wheels when Im not moving. This is the exact same thing my old pump did at first and it just got worse until I had to replace it. I checked the fluid and its full. I only have a single steering stabilizer on the truck but I dont know if its any good. When Im driving the truck steers very easy.

Is there something else that could be making it do this or is it bad? If its bad, why am I going through pumps so fast?

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Bad power steering pump

You might want to check if it is circulating fluid properly. Did you flush the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in the new one when you replaced it? The way to flush the system is to disconnect the return line, plug the inlet on the pump, put the return line into a large container (I use a clear orange juice jug), turn the truck on, turn the wheel left to right. You should see the fluid being pumped into the container without any issues.

This is supposed to be done while simultaneously adding fresh fluid into the reservoir. It is flushed when the fluid starts coming out clear. It can take a while and you'll probably go through 2 quarts.

On another note, when I recently replaced my pump, the first one leaked around the large round seal. I returned it and replaced it and the 2nd one leaked around the outlet where the pressure hose attaches--not at the junction, but at the area where the inlet screws into the reservoir. I took it off to find a damaged seal--doesn't seem like they replaced it when they remanufactured it.

I had purchased these from Oreilly's so I gave up on them and went to Advance. Got the 3rd one there and it looked great and really looked new (they're all remanufactured). I tried to put it on and it wouldn't fit!!!

I later learned that when they rebuilt it, they did not install the pump into the reservoir properly. It is supposed to be installed at around the 2 o-clock position so when you install it, the cap is at the 12 o-clock position. They installed the pump at the 12 o-clock position so the reservoir hit the water pump when I tried to install it.

So off I went to Autozone. Got one there and it is working fine. For whatever it is worth, Autozone and Oreilly's use Cardone reman pumps. Since the reservoirs are cores, you can actually buy a p/s pump with a reservoir that is all beat up.

Moral of the story--sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

M

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 02-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
379redneck

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens. Mine is leaking from the high pressure line to, but I think its the hose itself that might be bad, or its not tight enough. When I changed it I didnt flush it, my friend thats a mechanic was helping me and he said theres no reason to do that. If I need to end up replacing this one I will make sure to flush it and Im gonna change the lines to.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Redneck, here's a question, did you replace the belt? Just a thought. As far as the stabalizer goes, mine failed (seized solid) when I was backing my trailer into it's parking spot. I thought it was the belt so I cranked the wheel really hard and bent the drag link (4WD)!! I was lucky in one respect, the bar bent down, all I did was put a jack under it and bend it back up. I'm glad it didn't decide to lock up out on the road! If the stabilizer looks old it's probably OEM, replace it. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Toxic Redline

Ya I went through probably 8 power steering pumps from Autozone, like was said earlier Auto zone Oreilly and napa stock the same pump, It seemed like if it didn't leak it was screaming, and if it wasnt screaming it was leaking, Even had one that didnt even pump anything whatsoever. GOOD LUCK
WHEN IN DOUBT--- FLOOR IT
Toxic Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
cableguy0

You have to flush the power steering system. When a pump goes bad. It spews metal. The metal lands in the steering box and will go right into the new pump. Dont listen to your friend anymore. The leak isnt helping the situation either. I would flush the system and replace the hose and go from there. also pull the pressure relief valve out of the pump and clean out the passage it sits in. This is the place where the pressure hose screws into. UNscrew it from the pump housing. You will need a 1 inch wrench. Be careful because there is a spring behind it and everything will fly out at you.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
379redneck

James, I did change the belt with it. It has a rancho stabilizer on it but it looks pretty old and is rusty. I will take it off when it warms up again and check it.

Cableguy0, I didnt know that about the pump. Do you mean to clean the bolt part of it or take out the spring and clean in there also?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
cableguy0

Clean out where the spring and valve is behind the fitting. A piece of trash the smaller than a grain of sand can stop that valve from moving which will cause the pump to not have pressure.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
cableguy0

ONce you manually clean that out. Disconnect the return line. Get a large funnel and a couple quarts of fluid read. The pump will blow a quart out real fast. Your going to go through 6 or 7 quarts in a hurry. Have someone sit in the truck and start it. have them turn the steering wheel lock to lock. This will get everything out of the box itself. The other guy needs to be under the hood dumping fluid in and trying to keep the return line from spraying fluid all over. Get a 5 gallon bucket and have the return hose blow fluid into that.

Last edited by cableguy0; 02-20-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
379redneck

Ok. How many quarts should I get to do this?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
cableguy0

I would get a case of fluid which is 12. It pumps out extremely fast. Then you will need to be able to refill the system when done.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Yeah, like cableguy said, that fitting that screws into the reservoir is what leaked in my 2nd pump. When I unscrewed it from the reservoir, I saw a small black seal come out and another one was still on there. I THINK it is supposed to only have one.

If I may offer a good tip to make the flush a one man job like I mentioned above--use a clear plastic gallon and put the return line in. Fill the reservoir, turn the truck on, cycle the wheel from side to side, etc.

You can also get the gallon of fluid from the parts store, but like cable guy says--you'll go through a few pretty quick.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #13
379redneck

Ok. Im going to have to wait a little bit to do it. Supposed to be getting 6-8 inches of snow tonight. At least I can drift around every corner and not get in trouble for it lol.

Quote:
When I unscrewed it from the reservoir, I saw a small black seal come out and another one was still on there. I THINK it is supposed to only have one.
I think there is supposed to be two if I remeber correctly. I remember fighting with it to get one on and got pissed after I got it for some reason. Im pretty that reason was because I had to do it again, but im not sure.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #14
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379redneck View Post
I think there is supposed to be two if I remeber correctly. I remember fighting with it to get one on and got pissed after I got it for some reason. Im pretty that reason was because I had to do it again, but im not sure.
You could be right. I thought there were supposed to be two but when I looked at the diagram/instructions on the Advance Auto one, it only showed one

Aside from the fact that the one from Advance had the pump installed into the reservoir wrong, I was very impressed with the kit. It came with extra seals and it looked new, not remanufactured. I really could have ordered another one from them but my impatience got the best of me.

I hope things work out for you.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
379redneck

The one I have didnt come with a reservoir, it looked like a new one too. When I do it im going to replace both lines and all of the seals, if I can the extras that the pump came with. I remember saying "I'm never touching a power steering pump again"- seems like I was wrong.

Thanks for the help. Wish it would warm up and all this white crap would go away so I can get this done.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
chika989

Question Re: Bad power steering pump

Fairly new here and don't know how to start a new thread or maybe that's not what I really need to do. I any event:

Would much appreciate your thoughts on my situation:

1987 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 350

I've replaced the power steering pump six times as of today.....four pumps from Advance and two the latest one today from NAPA. I've replaced the gear box, new hoses, drag link, stabilizer and tie rod ends (new fluid and bleeding as per mechanic's instructions). The screaming continues!.....not continually but at start up and when the wheel is turned...there is some (quite a bit) difficulty turning the wheel.

Don't know where to go from here. I'm no better off now than I was six power steering pumps ago and many man hours as well.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.
chika989 is offline   Reply With Quote