The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
silky

horrible hub replacement

hey all,

So my sister allowed to get her hubs so bad that the passenger side bearing detonated on the highway. Long story short I spent the day knee deep in front hubs!

It has not been an enjoyable situation to say the least. The first problem is that everything seems to have been way over torqued. To get the caliper off of the driver side I soaked it in wd40 and had to use a 1/2 drive with a 4 foot pipe for leverage. Even then it took a lot of effort to break them loose. After that it went fine. I re and re'd everything but when I got to the caliper bolts I found they wouldn't tighten. When I looked at the caliper bolts I saw the threads were severly damaged as were the threads in the caliper. I also noticed that the CV boot on the driver's side is ripped so I need to replace that. Should I replace the boot or just go ahead and replace the whole shaft? I did some searching and it seems that the shaft is only held in by 6 bolts, is this correct?

So I decided to move to the passenger side since it was too late to get a caliper. Everything came off fine. I got the 3 hub bolts out but the hub won't come off. I beat on it with a sledge hammer for 10 minutes and it didn't even loosen a bit. I think the problem is that the tire/lug mounting surface is essentially half broken from the hub so when I beat on it, it is not transfering the impace to the hub mounting surface. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to break loose?

thanks guys.
silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
truckdude239

Re: horrible hub replacement

it probley has corrosion here the hub mounts try beating up and down left and right , if the cv boot is riped go ahead and replace the whole cv axle

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
silky

ok well I got one side done. I am working on driver side. I have changed the axle, got the hub back on but I don't know what torque specs to tighten the axle to transfer case bolts to? Anyone know? thanks!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
silky

Well i think i found out. I needed the torque specs for the transfer case output to halfshaft flange bolts. I found a website that said it was 59 ft/lbs. Does this sound right? I tightened them down to 50 so i will pull it open and snug it down to 59 I'n the am.
Posted via Mobile Device