The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
ATrain707

starter problem/question

Hey guys I just finished putting a used 70s(i think) Chevy 350 goodwrench motor in my 68 Chevy in place of the I6, the problem I'm having now now is the starter, its making a weird noise so I wanna change it cuz its the old I6 starter and I was told I could use it if I have a 168 tooth fly wheel witch I do, the truck has a 4speed m/t the ppl at the auto part store keep telling me I need to bring the old starter for the the 350, but I don't have it just the one thas on there now from the I6. Does the I6 starter have to be shimmed out?
ATrain707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
hjewell2

Re: starter problem/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain707 View Post
Hey guys I just finished putting a used 70s(i think) Chevy 350 goodwrench motor in my 68 Chevy in place of the I6, the problem I'm having now now is the starter, its making a weird noise so I wanna change it cuz its the old I6 starter and I was told I could use it if I have a 168 tooth fly wheel witch I do, the truck has a 4speed m/t the ppl at the auto part store keep telling me I need to bring the old starter for the the 350, but I don't have it just the one thas on there now from the I6. Does the I6 starter have to be shimmed out?
Yes everytime you switch a starter to another block you need to possibly shim the starter. shim pack can be purchased in the Help section of some auto parts store. It offers a few sizes in the pack which can be stacked to get the correct spacing between the spur gear and flywheel. I hope this helps.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: starter problem/question

In my case, I've never had to shim the starter in the few swaps I've done and starters that I've replaced so be sure and check the starter drive gear and/or flywheel teeth for abnormal wear.

If you do require shimming, there's a "faq" somewhere on how to do it and other related problems.

I think this may help. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...archid=2497741
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote