The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
69gmc292

How to Restore Interior of a Daily Driver

Hello,

I am seeing if any one has any tips on restoring the interior of our trucks. It is my only truck and I drive it everyday to work. I am not looking to do a full show truck restoration but I would like a good looking truck to drive around in. I am going to start with the inside of my truck and I am going to have to paint everything from top to bottom but taking the glass out is really not an option un less i have to.

Thanks
69gmc292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Redleg

Re: How to Restore Interior of a Daily Driver

Many dont like it, but you would be surprised what a rattle can job can do. Just make sure you tape off everything. I used painters tape, newspaper and fire engine red spray paint.....It turned the interior of mine around 180 degrees.

That, a custom (nice) seat cover and some new instrument panels, dash pad, can really change it to the better. I did mine in 1 weekend. Could be done faster if a person has a garage etc which i didnt have...
Attached Images

Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
flashed

WOW ,what a difference that made .Looks very nice .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Indyuke

And if you want to go a bit farther, someone on ebay sells new instrument bezels for $26 bucks apiece. LMC has other little interior pieces that really compliment a cleaned up interior like the one shown above.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Redleg

Ebay huh? Cheaper than LMC? Getting rid of that old green paint on mine helped alot but there is still quite a bit i want to do. Kind of like the OP its my daily driver besides the bike so didnt want it down to long.

Im going to start replacing little things at a time. No major cost or reconstruction, but again like how i painted it above. Made a big improvement, and that whole paint set up cost me less than $50.
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmc292 View Post
Hello,

I am seeing if any one has any tips on restoring the interior of our trucks. It is my only truck and I drive it everyday to work. I am not looking to do a full show truck restoration but I would like a good looking truck to drive around in. I am going to start with the inside of my truck and I am going to have to paint everything from top to bottom but taking the glass out is really not an option un less i have to.

Thanks
I'm in exactly the same situation. I bought a new dash bezel from Classic Parts for $34 and a bottle of orange paint (to refresh the needles on the instruments) for $4 at Hobby Lobby. The dash project took less than two hours and you wouldn't believe the difference it made in appearance.

I also replaced the visors (PO had painted the original white visors black) and took some rubbing compound to the dash to brighten it up.

My next project is going to be the seat. My ride is a Highlander so I would like to go back to a plaid seat cover, but that's proving to be bigger problem that I expected. I'm also giving serious consideration to going to a different seat -- either a bench from a late 90s Chevy/GMC with the arm rest/cup holders or buckets and console.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
CowboyProtectionUnit

Great Thread Idear... Not My Series of Trucks, but I'll be modifying and Implementing Alot here for the 73-87 truck I have

TheCowBoyProtectionUnit@yahoo.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eric-T...59496227444241
CowboyProtectionUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
webfoot

I am currently doing the same thing. Here's a tip, do the dash pad at the same time you replace the gauge bezel since the instrument cluster will be in the way of the stamped nut. Just remove the headlight switch and it is easy to get to with a 6" extension and 3/8" socket. If you have factory gauges you will have a few sending units to disconnect. My oil line took a 5/16".

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When you prep for paint,use steel wool to clean the metal for better paint adhesion.Then wipe it down with paint thinner.You will be surprised at how long rattle can will last if you take your time and prep well.Make sure you paint when the humidity is low.Warm the can ,if it's cool out, and follow direction as far as temps on the can.Mine was rattle canned 7-8 years ago and still looks pretty decnt(at least better then it did when I got it).
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

remember the "kiss" rule when dealing with older truck interiors. they did not come from the factory with a lots of bells and whistles. keep it simple, clean and low tech. my .02 anyway....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote