The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
csutter

Mechanical gas tank selector

Being paranoid about running of gas since my dual gas tanks don't have fuel sending units, I decided to get the right hand tank filled up and see if it worked since I hadn't used it since getting the truck on the road.

To switch tanks I have a mechanical valve in the drivers floorboard. As soon as I moved the valve to the 2nd tank, the valve started leaking gas into my floorboard. Valve probably hasn't been moved in 15 years. I have looked all over online and only see electric switches, can I go to hardware store or similar and just buy a valve of some kind?

Also, I looked under the truck and it has what looks like connections for 3 tanks. 2 are connected to my tanks, but the 3rd has a short piece of pipe that is connected to the valve but loose on the other end. The other end also has what looks like an electrical braid for grounding hanging off of it. Not sure why this is there or what it is supposed to do, I plan on removing it as long as there is no safety or other issue for this to be there.

Thanks for any info!

Craig

1969 Chevy C10
csutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Mechanical gas tank selector

Have you checked with your local RV center? They may have a valve that would work for you.

The braided wire hanging down sounds like someone put a static ground on the truck.

Is any of the plumbing stock, (does your spid list the extra tanks)?

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
cdowns

boat supply place is a good place to check also
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Roadmarks

Check a supplier that deals in heavy, over-the-road trucks. That is where i got mine. I have one in solid brass that I have used in several trucks over the years. I also use a selector on the fuel gauge so I can check any tank at the flip of a switch.
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
csutter

Good ideas on the boat supply and rv centers, I'll definitely try that. These tanks are definitely not stock, they are not on the spid, the factory tank was still behind the seat when I got it. No fuel sending units even in these tanks, look homebuilt.

I'll try to take a picture of the line that is only connected to the valve, not sure if I need to do something similar or not. It's odd because it has the same hardware that looks like it would connect to a tank.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
csutter

Tank switcher valve and mystery connection pics. I'm sure I'll figure out the dumb way, but is there a smart way to remove this valve without drowning myself in gasoline?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Roadmarks

That's got a lever that comes up through the floor, right? Looks exactly like mine!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
csutter

Sure does! So is this a factory option? I've been under the assumption that it was done aftermarket.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Roadmarks

No! Mine is absolutely aftermarket! I bought it brand new years ago From a place called Brakes, Inc. It first went into my '57 3100 during the first gas crisis. I had 2 tanks, one in the bed hidden under some lumber that held almost 30 gallons plus the in cab tank. Then in a '56 3100 Panel with twin saddle tanks at 26 each. Then in a VW Beetle with a VW bus tank behind the rear seat. I pulled the tank switch when I got rid of the car and it will go into my '71 C-10 when I do saddle tanks and a rear Camaro tank!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by csutter View Post
Tank switcher valve and mystery connection pics. I'm sure I'll figure out the dumb way, but is there a smart way to remove this valve without drowning myself in gasoline?

What year. Mine looks similair but with vent or return lines
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #11
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I had one in my K5 Blazer. It had two tanks plus the factory tank. Three inlets and one outlet. They were all plummed with soft copper pipe. They ran the feed line from the switch block all the way back to the factory tank where it connected to the factory fuel line that ran down the frame...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
mrein3

A couple of years ago I was screwing around with something on my truck and dropped a tool on the pot metal handle on my selector and snapped it off. I found a new assembly - identical to what I had - in a local hardware store that is connected to a marina. The hardware side guy said that selector costs 3 times as much next door at the marine parts counter.

Long story short, they are out there.

To work on it - like mcmlxix pointed out - there are three ins and one out. To keep yourself from getting totally drenched in gas you'll need to figure out how to stop the gravity flow from the tanks to that selector. On mine the previous owner had rubber hose leading to the selector so I just clamp the hose, put a catch pan under the selector to catch the gas between the pinch off point and the switch - AND THE GAS COMING BACK FROM THE CARB - then if it is going to be a while I like to put a bolt or similar into the removed hose and clamp it off with a hose clamp.

You are going to lose some gas so do this job in a well ventilated area. Certainly not in an attached garage. And don't light any cigarettes until the fumes clear.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
One Chevy Scotty

I have the same problem....here is what I found http://www.andersonbrass.com/SELECTOR_VALVES.PHP

I have not ordered it yet...but I will be soon.
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
csutter

I got this replaced last night (started on Saturday), found a replacement valve at West Marine for $30.00 (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10446).

The only difference is it has connections for 2 lines instead of 3. I just removed the 3rd line that had the ground strap and made sure the valve was grounded to the floorboard.

I ended up draining both tanks in the driveway. Tried to do it without draining and had gas everywhere, plus it was very difficult to get the old connections off. The lines came off ok, but the right-angle adapters I couldn't get off until I could get it in a vise.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
1972RedNeck

I recently just got 2 from Napa.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #16
eagleuh1

I think i saw one in Brothers or LMC under gas tank and accessories.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote