The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: dont drop control arms do the same things as just shortening the springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodybigblock View Post
love that truck! thats all i gotta say!
x2. Clean & simple; no big wheels or flash req'd.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #27
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
sports cars spend thousands trying to get that kind of camber
So, are you sayin KEEP ON TRUCKIN? It does ride pretty smooth and if I can keep the ends from swappin, it'll take a curve like nobody's bidniss!! I can't afford bags and stuff, but still wanna lower the rear a bit more (I guess that is called a static drop). The PO put some kind of pipe things (You have got to see this setup!!) in the rear springs and it looks like WHODUNNIT & WHATFOR!! (Not even I am this creative!!) But it holds everything together back there and it does ride pretty good. I'm thinkin I'll just heat and collapse the (already jacked up) rear coils and ride, sally, ride til I can get some bags (much later). I'll toss a pic up here tomorrow of the rear coils and the setup he made for it.
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuellg1977 View Post
So, are you sayin KEEP ON TRUCKIN? It does ride pretty smooth and if I can keep the ends from swappin, it'll take a curve like nobody's bidniss!! I can't afford bags and stuff, but still wanna lower the rear a bit more (I guess that is called a static drop). The PO put some kind of pipe things (You have got to see this setup!!) in the rear springs and it looks like WHODUNNIT & WHATFOR!! (Not even I am this creative!!) But it holds everything together back there and it does ride pretty good. I'm thinkin I'll just heat and collapse the (already jacked up) rear coils and ride, sally, ride til I can get some bags (much later). I'll toss a pic up here tomorrow of the rear coils and the setup he made for it.
Don't heat the coils.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #29
rwhit57

Thanks for the compliments on my truck guys.
I've lowered a bunch of old cars and it is hard work and can be a little dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. There are little tricks that you learn with time. For you guys doing it for the first time, keep asking questions and learning from the guys that have done it. Certainly don't want to screw up your truck or get hurt. Scoti is right do not heat the leafs (coils), bad idea.
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
misslemanid

Where would a person buy these shims and bolts for the upper arms?
Posted via Mobile Device
misslemanid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Any auto parts store should have them. The shims are also used to align the body panels.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Don't heat the coils.
Why not? I have seen it done, but have never been brave enough (sober) to attempt it.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
Why not? I have seen it done, but have never been brave enough (sober) to attempt it.
Springs are tempered steel coils. Heating them ruins the process making them prone to stress cracks, unconsistent height/rate, & possible failure @ the worst time possible (driving down a crowed highway).

If you must cut the springs, do so w/a cut-off wheel, sawz-all, or similar to localize the heat. Some people will use a torch to get it done w/the remainder of the coil in a bucket of water to prevent the possible heat related damage. As popular as 6x-87 trucks are, dropped coils & other parts are easy enough to find.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #34
rwhit57

If I'm following this, we're talking about a 60's era truck now with rear coils. If I remember right the coils get smaller at each end where they set in the pockets, so cutting them is out of the question. Drop springs are available and aren't that expensive.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #35
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
If I'm following this, we're talking about a 60's era truck now with rear coils. If I remember right the coils get smaller at each end where they set in the pockets, so cutting them is out of the question. Drop springs are available and aren't that expensive.
You are correct. This is a 63 SWB Step side. However, this is what i am looking at... The PO did this and I can't think of any other reason besides a homemade adjustable drop kit(?) Those babies are LODGED in place too!!! I tried to turn them, but no joy (YET). Has anyone ever seen ANYTHING like this before?
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #36
rwhit57

I haven't seen that before! What it looks like is they welded some tabs to the orig spring pocket, cut the coils, and let the coils ride up on the outside of the pocket rather than the inside. I don't like it. but it worked, for now, Anyone agree?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #37
samuellg1977

This is my first dealings with this type of spring set up. I always had leaf springs. I know this ain't right, but what does right look like? I did find some 5-inch drop springs ($115.00/pair - DONE, SON!!!!!!!) and I will be switching this out real soon. Well, as soon as UPS gets here with em!! I got em here... I guess i can paste this link... Idunno - If not, just let me know if i am out of line...

http://www.gmcpauls.com/60-66_suspension.htm
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #38
SCOTI

Yes, 6x-72 rear coil suspensions (you could get them in a leaf set-up too) came w/coils that are 'pig-tailed' on each end.

Years ago (I'm talking early/mid 80's) on my buddies 69 we made a 2" tall 'cup' that kept the coil retained to the truck arm using the stock lower mounting hole. Then we cut the rear coils @ the bottom of the spring for drop vs. heating them. It was cheap but the trucks ride quality was non-existent (we were 16yr olds w/no budget).

I refused to lower my RetroRod back then until I could figure a way to maintain or improve the ride quality. So we drove his ground pounding (406/th350/4.10's) 'cool' truck on certain nights & drove my stock height 6cyl/3spd the rest of the time.

This is the same buddy of mine that did dropped arms on a super nice 'patina' OE white exterior/fawn interior 65 (again, back around 1992.... before patina was 'in style') vs. dropped spindles like I recommended (he didn't want to spend the $$ for the disc swap). The end result was the dropped pocket hung on a man-hole cover & bent that truck bad. You couldn't open the doors because the cab got twisted. All that was left of the truck was the front fenders & the bed; everything else was tweaked from that hit to the a-arm & the resulting frame damages....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
camshaftgsxr

Quote:
So, are you sayin KEEP ON TRUCKIN? It does ride pretty smooth and if I can keep the ends from swappin, it'll take a curve like nobody's bidniss!!
id have your alignment checked by a shop, if its off more than a few degrees itll cause inconsistant tire wear.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #40
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
id have your alignment checked by a shop, if its off more than a few degrees itll cause inconsistant tire wear.
These are my "temp" tires til i figure out what i want to do with it for good. I just put those on about a month ago. It's not that I'm indecisive, i can't make up my mind... LOL. I have been cruising the net, this site and local car shows to get an idea of which direction i want to go with it. Definitely not pro-street or anything "race-inspired". It is my daily roller, so i need to sensable about it but still get the look i want. Low-slung, obviously custom built, and personal to me. Man, that may be impossible!! Any suggestions, PM me with links because i have googled myself silly the past few months!! Thanks for all the advice and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread... It is also good to see you all are concerned with safety first. I just thought - I survived a tour in Africa, two tours in Iraq, and one tour in Afghanistan... Only to come home and get killed by a less than par build on a project truck? I think not!!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #41
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
..... I survived a tour in Africa, two tours in Iraq, and one tour in Afghanistan... Only to come home and get killed by a less than par build on a project truck? I think not!!
samuellg1977 these guys are offering very solid advice so soak it all in. In the meantime let me thank you for your service to allow this great country to enjoy our freedom. Your personal time given is greatly appreciated by myself and my family.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #42
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
samuellg1977 these guys are offering very solid advice so soak it all in. In the meantime let me thank you for your service to allow this great country to enjoy our freedom. Your personal time given is greatly appreciated by myself and my family.
Yes Thank You!

You saw my truck, it is finally in primer after 2 years. Take your time. You are on a good site with a lot of info. He's right just soak it all in. It will come together.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #43
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
These are my "temp" tires til i figure out what i want to do with it for good. I just put those on about a month ago. It's not that I'm indecisive, i can't make up my mind... LOL. I have been cruising the net, this site and local car shows to get an idea of which direction i want to go with it. Definitely not pro-street or anything "race-inspired". It is my daily roller, so i need to sensable about it but still get the look i want. Low-slung, obviously custom built, and personal to me. Man, that may be impossible!! Any suggestions, PM me with links because i have googled myself silly the past few months!! Thanks for all the advice and I'm sorry for hijacking this thread... It is also good to see you all are concerned with safety first. I just thought - I survived a tour in Africa, two tours in Iraq, and one tour in Afghanistan... Only to come home and get killed by a less than par build on a project truck? I think not!!
there is an alignment shop between the Sango WalMart and exit 11, Kennedy&Stwuart I think it's call'd, they are a good honest shop, take it by there and let give you a price on an alignment.
truck looks good by the way.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
there is an alignment shop between the Sango WalMart and exit 11, Kennedy&Stwuart I think it's call'd, they are a good honest shop, take it by there and let give you a price on an alignment.
truck looks good by the way.
PM sent.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #45
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
Yes Thank You!

You saw my truck, it is finally in primer after 2 years. Take your time. You are on a good site with a lot of info. He's right just soak it all in. It will come together.
I guess I am just getting antsy with all of these ideas swirling and nothing but time to think about it. I found this pic online and I think this is the look i want (minus the door art). And the cool part is: I am almost there already!! Plain and simple with no flash, no fluff - just right!! Whoever belongs to this truck is a lucky Dude!!
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #46
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is also a notable difference between cutting a pocket into the stock lower control arms and a well engineered set of lowering control arms.
When properly done, you will not have that camber change discribed earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote