The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
srvivor71

Door / Hinge Problem - Looking for Advice

Ok. Today I was going to try to fix whatever was making my drivers door so hard to close. You pretty much need to slam it every time. I have known I had an issue with the upper hinge and after experimenting with the latch and striker decided the hinge was the problem.

What I found is that the hinge itself looks fine but the door metal is actually bent (see pic). It must have been caught by a really bad wind some time in the past.

I decided to take the door off and try to bang the metal back into shape, and maybe install a reinforcing plate inside the door. I put a motorcycle lift under the door to support it and started taking out the hinge bolts. I removed all except one on each hinge when it occurred to me that the swing limiter (I don't know the real name) is probably going to need to come off before the door will come off. Well that stopped me dead in my tracks. I couldn't get it off to save my life. I saw there is like a retaining pin in the top of the hinge. I tried to get it out but was afraid I was going to bung it up or beat it to death.

Here's a pic of the problem. The colored parts are what I'm calling the swing limiter and the retaining pin.

So my first question is how the hell do you get the swing limiter off? Once I get that off, I need to deal with the deformed metal. It also appears to be pretty fatigued - it flexes when the door is pushed back and forth. How about abandoning that hole and drilling out a new one on the top of the hinge? Does anyone have any good ideas or experience dealing with this problem? I'd like to hear from you.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
ItsRandy

Re: Door / Hinge Problem - Looking for Advice

I'm sure it is part of the hinge. I've taken my doors and all I did was remove the bolts, doors came right off. I took the bolts off of the cab side of the hinge but I don't think that matters.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
pat 70/71

I would try to maybe shim the bent part of the door with some slim washers? Work the problem and I'm sure you will grasp what needs to be done . I had a truck with a similar issue once and, thats what I did until I found a new door. And I think that would be your best option. good luck, cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The limiter is part of the hinge. Unbolt it and the door will fall off.
The door is probably ripped there. I have seen many rip in that area.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
KrazyRay

50% of my parts trucks that come in are fatigued at the driver side upper hinge area on the door. The other 50% have speaker holes and the next 50% are rusted at the bottom of the door.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
wilbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
50% of my parts trucks that come in are fatigued at the driver side upper hinge area on the door. The other 50% have speaker holes and the next 50% are rusted at the bottom of the door.
Wow, that's a lot of doors!

100% of mine have dents in them

Would it be possible to cut out the damaged area and tack in a fabricated nut plate that spans across the bad section?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It depends on how bad it is cracked and you won't really know that until you get the door off. Like the others have said you don't need to take the stop arm off. I have straightened and welded a couple of doors but if it is cracked really bad you would have to cut that area out (plus about 1") and weld in a new piece of metal or replace the whole door.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote