The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
daveid01

57 weatherstipping

HI,
I just got a 57 long bed pick up and the thing rattles like no other. I have just purchased all the weather stripping and am going to install it this weekend. I have never done weather stripping before and im just wondering if there are any tips on how to make it easier or tips on certain stuff to avoid to not make a mistake. The part im really worried about is trying to weather strip the vent windows. Do I have to take out the whole vent window assembely?
Thanks in advance for any help

David
daveid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 57 weatherstipping

According to all I've read, this thread contains the WRONG way to do it. It's counter intuitive but the long L leg does NOT go against the door it goes against the cab when the door is closed. Also, did you buy the metal strips/screws for along the bottom of the door? I didn't know to do that so I had to wait to buy some. I've been planning to do mine for awhile. As soon as I do I will post photos here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=door+seals
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
daveid01

im not sure. Its acually my father in laws truck and he got the deluxe weather stripping package from brothers that comes with the whole truck weather stripping. does that have those?

thanks for the link too.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid01 View Post
im not sure. Its acually my father in laws truck and he got the deluxe weather stripping package from brothers that comes with the whole truck weather stripping. does that have those?

thanks for the link too.
I doubt it comes with the metal strips but you need to get them or closing the door will potentially tear the little plastic pins that hold the weatherstripping to the door bottom. Wouldn't want to go do all that just to damage it.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Rude Dude

Those little white cheapo plastic retainers also rip from weather stripping after a few opening and closing's. The originals were made of wire so dont forget to use adhesive

http://www.classicparts.com/Super-We...ctinfo/03-299/
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

in regards to the plastic retainers make sure the holes in the doors are deep enough, you may have to clip the ends so they seat correctly. The original used a shallow clip. Once you push them in they are a bear to get out without trashing them.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
in regards to the plastic retainers make sure the holes in the doors are deep enough,...
The holes are all the way THROUGH the sheet metal so "deep enough" is not an issue. I wouldn't modify the plastic clips in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
.. Once you push them in they are a bear to get out without trashing them.
Totally agree. You'll tear the weatherstripping all to hell if you try to remove them.

I plan to trial fit without pressing the pins in. Once I know it'll fit ok I'm gonna put a bead of 3M trim adhesive from pin hole to pin hole, press n those pins and move on to the next segment. Not sure how long the adhesive takes to dry but I won't close the doors until I'm sure it's cured.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
tmoble

Dan, 3M Super weatherstrip Adhesive (AKA yellow death) is a contact cement. put it on both sides like a thin film, let it dry, then stick it together. Stick it right the first time, it sticks hard on contact.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
The holes are all the way THROUGH the sheet metal so "deep enough" is not an issue. I wouldn't modify the plastic clips in any way.
Posted via Mobile Device
The hole may be all the way through but they are shaped like a bullet on some doors and the end of the hole is shallow. I have had to clip the plastic to get them to go all the way in. The original clips were thin wire clips not the thick plastic ones of today.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Well, I STILL don't get how a hole all the way through sheet metal can be "shallow"? I guess we're not using the term the same way. Yes, I know the original weatherstripping had a wavy wire running through it that came out as the tips, pins or whatever you want to call them that stuck into the holes. The holes in my doors are standard small diameter round holes. Nothing "bullet shaped" (whatever that meant) about them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Daze57

i believe dwcsr meant that the plastic ''pins or clips '' are of a bullet shape - and he is right - gettin them out is a pita -i used a 3/8 extention on top of the rubber and the ''pin '' and a rubber mallet to knock it in - and made sure it was in all the way .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
daveid01

thanks guys for all the info. i used that link to brothers website which helped a lot. I havent done the door weatherstripping itself but I understand what not to do now. One question i have is if anyone sells the springs that go on the bottom on vent window frame. His are SO rusted i dont know if we can reuse them.

thanks again,
david
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Daze57

the springs ''might '' be a hard find - you may want to see if anyone has a junk pair with the springs still attached - that you can get for cheap.

those are pretty stout springs - give a good cleaning and penatrating oil - maybe they are not as bad as you think
good luck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote