The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
downbytheriver

newbie question: dropping a '69 C10 4/6

Hi guys,

I picked up this 69 c10 last weekend, and have gotten to the point where I'm wheeling the frame in preparation for paint and am now considering what I need to do with the suspension. I've settled on a 4/6 drop from what I've seen on here, and a friend suggested air bags in the back. For the front, however, I'd like to do a 4" drop and keep the drum brakes all around. I know all the lowering kits I've seen so far require a disc brake swap. What's the best way to go about this with money being a concern? My buddy said air in the front is a pain in the ass to do right, but I don't want to go hog wild at this point and buy a whole new disc setup.

Don't really want mismatched bolt patterns front and rear either, currently a 6 lug.

Any pros and cons to air vs. spring?

If it makes a difference, I'm doing a 5.3 swap, so the crossmember will definitely be changed. Thanks in advance for the replies. Now off to make my build thread!

downbytheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
downbytheriver

Re: newbie question: dropping a '69 C10 4/6

http://grunionfabrication.com/disc-b...10-p-2133.html

After searching for an hour or so, is that kit an option? It's the cheapest I've found, but it seems to good to be true...

Bag the rear to a 6" drop, and then use this kit, drop spindles and 4" lowering springs to finish the front?
downbytheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
50bomb

I would go cpp 3/5 drop coils. with adjustable panhard bar and shock relocaters and your done.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
LCWARRIOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
i would go cpp 3/5 drop coils. With adjustable panhard bar and shock relocaters and your done.
i have those exact coils. Where can i get the adjustable panhard bar and shock relocaters and how and why do these help?
1971 CHEVY K5 BLAZER
1969 CHEVY C-10 TRUCK
1992 CHEVY 4X4 BLAZER (2 DOOR)
LCWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbytheriver View Post
Hi guys,

I picked up this 69 c10 last weekend, and have gotten to the point where I'm wheeling the frame in preparation for paint and am now considering what I need to do with the suspension. I've settled on a 4/6 drop from what I've seen on here, and a friend suggested air bags in the back. For the front, however, I'd like to do a 4" drop and keep the drum brakes all around. I know all the lowering kits I've seen so far require a disc brake swap. What's the best way to go about this with money being a concern? My buddy said air in the front is a pain in the ass to do right, but I don't want to go hog wild at this point and buy a whole new disc setup.

Don't really want mismatched bolt patterns front and rear either, currently a 6 lug.

Any pros and cons to air vs. spring?

If it makes a difference, I'm doing a 5.3 swap, so the crossmember will definitely be changed. Thanks in advance for the replies. Now off to make my build thread!

I did a 5.5/6" on my 72, and it cost me about $400.00 for the kit (Springs/Shocks) and another $65.00 for the 2" Lowering Blocks for the rear.
I was going to go Air Bags because the Exhaust was always scraping on Dips/Speed Bumps,
but it wasn't the Suspension that needed to be raised/lowered, but to have the exhaust "Tucked up" into the Frame.
I was looking at about $2.5K to buy Bags and have them installed, but my Mechanic talked me out of it.
$900.00 to tuck-up the exhaust and no Air Bags needed!
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote