The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
SCOTI

2 barrel's dead.... rebuild, replace, or....

step up to a 4 barrel?

My 74's 2 barrel gave up the ghost last night. It's leaking onto the exterior intake as well as internally & won't idle more than a minute w/o loading up so bad it dies.

What are your opinions?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Just depends on what you want, I guess. If it were me, I would go with a 4 barrel, preferrably a Q-jet.

It just looks more cool with a 4 barrel, right? Besides, a Q-jet will get better mileage over a 2 barrel, IF, you stay out of the back barrels.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
.... Besides, a Q-jet will get better mileage over a 2 barrel, IF, you stay out of the back barrels.
Yeah, but who is going to do that:p

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Scoti,
Since the other thread is getting WAY of topic, I'll bring my response over here. This is what I posted-
Scoti, sorry to hear about your trouble there buddy. I just have to know something though. Since you already hate the 2 barrel, why replace it with another one?

I'll bet you have a 4 barrel intake laying around somewhere. If you don't have one, they are cheap enough to buy almost anywhere. Why don't you just get a small 4 barrel and be done with it.

The increase in performance will make it worth the hassle. Lets face it, the stock 150-160 hp coming out of our motors is nothing to get excited about. I'm almost hoping something will happen to give me a reason to modify or replace the motor in the 77....
Old 08-02-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
I'm almost hoping something will happen to give me a reason to modify or replace the motor in the 77....
Ken,

why do you need an excuse. Just do it.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:23 PM   #6
SCOTI

Well I've been calling around & $150-160 for a rebuilt 2 barrel. OUCH! So I had one guy research the carb #'s & he found a rebuild kit for (imagine the drumroll) $12.

So, I'll try the cheap way first (who would of thought) & if that doesn't work . . .... I'm steppin' up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-02-2003, 03:22 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

How did I know you would end up doing that?

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 08-02-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Ken,why do you need an excuse. Just do it.
Because right now, "it ain't broke" so I don't want to fix it. My wife gave me complete grace to buy this thing if I promised her I would lower it, put wheels on it, and enjoy it. If I start taking the engine apart now, I will get un-ending grief about it.

BUT...If it needs to be repaired *wink,wink* then she can't complain if I add a set of heads, cam, intake, and new carb while I do a tune up....

Scoti, now I know how you have rightfully earned the cheap bastage title. OK, try it your way for now. BTW- does this truck have FIRE insurance????

Just checking
Old 08-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Because right now, "it ain't broke" so I don't want to fix it. My wife gave me complete grace to buy this thing if I promised her I would lower it, put wheels on it, and enjoy it. If I start taking the engine apart now, I will get un-ending grief about it.
I have a feeling this has never stopped you before. I don't know why, but it's just a feeling I have. Strange. :p
Old 08-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
SCOTI

Ok, it's not that I'm 'cheap' cheap . . . .... rather, 'cost effective' cheap.

If I spend over $150 for a carb, I'll spend more for something better.... like a 4 barrel. You know, 'more bang for the buck'. And, $12 is a worthy investment since you never know until you try.

Now, my friends will tell you I'm the first in line to upgrade the power ratio, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I know I'll have a hard time stopping w/just swapping the intake/carb. I'll want to clean up the oil leaks, wiring, hmmmm, it could use some headers...... see how it escalates w/me. I bought this one for a clean driver & that's exactly what it is (when running of course ).

I'm sensing a lack of respect for my mechanical aptitude, but to ease your minds I keep an extinguisher under the kitchen sink, in each truck, & in the garage. Remember I'm cheap (cost effective) . . ..... it's cheaper to be prepared than to replace.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #11
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Dealing with my I6's 2 barrel. I will never use one again! They are such garbage. 4 barrels are so much smoother.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCOTI
Ok, it's not that I'm 'cheap' cheap . . . .... rather, 'cost effective' cheap. Ok, I like that term better. Efficient is the term I use on my wife. I'm not tight, as she likes to call me, just efficient. She also says I'm anal, but that's a whole other issue.

If I spend over $150 for a carb, I'll spend more for something better.... like a 4 barrel. You know, 'more bang for the buck'. And, $12 is a worthy investment since you never know until you try. I hear ya there. Since I was already thinking if you get a 4V carb, then you need an intake. You may as well get an aluminium intake since they are pretty cheap these days. While the distributor is out, I'm sure it could use a rebuild, but it would probably be cheaper just to replace it, which would mean you need new plug wires, and of course plugs too.

So you have the manifold off, and the plugs out of the heads, it's only a few more bolts to install a set of good heads. The problem there is, the heads don't flow that well unless you put a bigger cam in.

Yeah, I know EXACTLY where the upgarde to a 4v carb can lead ya.

I'm sensing a lack of respect for my mechanical aptitude, but to ease your minds I keep an extinguisher under the kitchen sink, in each truck, & in the garage. Remember I'm cheap (cost effective) . . ..... it's cheaper to be prepared than to replace. I wasn't diss'in your ability to rebuild the carb, just watching your back in case things didn't go well. And that kind of thinking is why we get along so well. I was once a boy scout myself, so I like to be prepared too. I'm sure I have a fire extinguisher or two around here somewhere...
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hey, tell me about where a very small upgrade will lead you.

When I first bought my 85, I told myself I gonna drive it and nothing else. Now look at it. I remember the only so called power upgrade I was going to do was a aluminum intake and some headers. That was all I was going to do. Remember it was a 305 so I needed just a tad more power.

Man, that intake and headers sure turned into a lot. It never stops. Not even if you sell it. You'll just buy another one and start over. But man, ain't it a lot of fun?
Old 08-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #14
SCOTI

Ken . . .... for the 'record', I never got to be a boy scout . . .... I wouldn't cut my hair.... even back then . But I was ready to.

Swervin . . . ... that's exactly what I'm worried about. We suffer a common ailment of which there is no known cure (but does require continuous treatment ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Well doctor Scot! What's the prognosis? Will the tired old 2b live or not?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #16
RiverCityChevy
You want it when???

Location: I live in memphis,tenn. been here for almost 30 years.
Talking 2 barrel carb, rebuilt or not

I just finished a rebuild on my 84 Scottsdale, the two barrel went in the scrape heap and a 4 barrel Qjet now sits in its place.I have nothing bad to say. I have a couple of 4 barrel Qjets here, if you need one to rebuild, ditch the 2 barrel
you will like the difference it makes.
RiverCityChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:52 PM   #17
SCOTI

I had to take the day off (boss' orders) so I didn't get a chance to tear into it. Hopefully I'll get out of work tomorrow early enough to get something accomplished.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 PM   #18
SCOTI

Well, I yanked the 2 barrel off today & tore it apart. No obvious sign of failure like torn/split gasket material or cracked base plate. But there was lots of rusty build-up in the fuel bowl & the throttle shaft is worn smooth out.

I went ahead & picked up a rebuild kit after the hard parts looked ok. I know it won't be perfect because of the throttle shaft but I'll go through it & see what happens.

It was nice to hop in the beater this morning for the drive to work. I didn't notice 1/2 the things I would complain about before & it even has a cd player. No pwr steering, no a/c, & that unsyncronized 1st gear still suck big time though.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-05-2003, 12:15 AM   #19
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Scoti,

I would buy a throttle shaft bush kit too. No use in rebuilding it if you leave the throttle shaft like it is. The extra vacuum leak this will cause, will upset the idle if bad enough. It also causes fuel metering problems.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Scoti,

I would buy a throttle shaft bush kit too. No use in rebuilding it if you leave the throttle shaft like it is. The extra vacuum leak this will cause, will upset the idle if bad enough. It also causes fuel metering problems.
Yeah Scoti, what he said...
Old 08-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

So what's the latest? Is it running right now?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #22
SCOTI

Well I couldn't find a throttle shaft kit @ Autozone, OReillys, or NAPA so I decided to just go w/what I had.

I started w/replacing the accelerator pump since you have to reuse the old spring & the keeper that secures it in place. Doing this requires gentle 'twisting' of the keeper to spread it enough to separate it from the accl. pump.

Well.... gengle twisting wasn't getting the job done. I was using 2 pairs of needle nose & couldn't get the f**ker to budge. So I'm struggling w/this small spring, keeper, & pump assm.... 2 pair of pliers.... twisting, persuading the keeper, trying to get it off w/o destroying it.... & in the blink of an eye, it pops off.... where it landed, I'm still not sure. I looked all over the garage floor where I saw/heard it land, but after an hour, I gave up.

So, I put it back together (minus the keeper), took it up to Oreillys (only ones w/a carb already in stock so I wouldn't have to wait) & swapped. Ouch, $160. Anyway, I went home & put it on, fixed the compromised inlet tubing/hose arrangement from the fuel pump, adjusted it & so far works like a charm.

I believe the term was coined 'scotluck' by a good friend.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #23
MattA

"SCOTLUCK" is a registered trademark.
MattA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #24
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You know, the more I'm around you, the more I enjoy it. Your luck is always one (or two) notches worse than mine. My wife tells me that I shouldn't complain because most of my misery is caused by self inflicted gun shot wounds to the foot.

You are doing now, what you should have done to start with, but just couldn't bring yourself to do it. That all gets easier with time....