The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
TJBrown

Fuel injection Return Line Question

OK, i used to run a MegaSquirt Fuel Injection system on a Turbo car a few years back. Well i had the whole ECU setup in the closet so i decided i am going to convert from Carb / HEI to EFI and Spark with MegaSquirt.

Question is, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do since i have dual tanks and need to have a return line to the take being used? Anyone crossed this bridge yet? Any advise would be great.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
gmtec93c1500

Re: Fuel injection Return Line Question

i havint crossed this bridge yet but what i would do is run an equalizer line from one tank to the other like a semi dose ... theres a line comes off the bottom of one tank and runs to the bottom of the other ... if you wanted you could plum your return line into this
gmtec93c1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you run the dual tanks, you need to get a higher pressure switching valve also. The tanks each have a return already, the switching valve opend the feed and return to each tank (and turns on the fuel pump) depending on which tanks is being used.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
bloodybronco

I'm in the middle of this aswell, so more input would be nice. My way, in my opinion is over complicated, but because i have most of the parts already lying around, it's going to mostly only cost time rather than money. i was just planning on putting two low pressure fuel pumps on the same switch as my fuel guage change over lined to a "fuel surge tank" that will have 6 lines on it. 1. engine feed - with a high press fuel pump. 2. engine return. 3,4 feed, return left side. 5,6 feed, return right side. so i have 3 fuel pump relays all signalled from a pigtailed ecm wire to power the 3 pumps. the surge tank will let me turn a corner without stalling, or cavitating my high press pump. while using my stock tanks and sending unit. the problem is that i am returning an unknown amount of fuel to two tanks at the same time, while only feeding from one. This shouldn't be a big problem, as i normally have gas in both tanks. If i am filling the tank i'm not using, i will just switch tanks when the one i am using is empty. i know it doesn't answer your question but but just thought it might give you ideas. You could get a hydraulic manifold where it's basically your carbureted fuel feed switch stacked, on the same switch but for higher pressure. don't have a specific example of a switch like that, but i work on heavy duty and we have lots of similar switches, where one switch controls 4 different things.
bloodybronco is offline   Reply With Quote