The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
laplander

Does this sound like a far fetched idea?

Like I posted earlier, we're putting a B&M 177 on my son's 396 and would really like to keep it under a cowl hood. I've spoken with a couple of board membbers that run close to teh same combo and they thig if the air cleaner is low profile enough that it should work. Now I'm wondering how to get cold air to the blower. What do you think of removing the headlights and using those for the air inlets, and taking the running lights in the grill and making those into headlights? I know they make them small enough, it's just a matter of finding a clear cover. Here's the piece I was thinking of using to start the conversion over.

Am I having too much time on my hands, or does this make sense from a performance standpoint?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFwQ8wIwAw#
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
laplander

Re: Does this sound like a far fetched idea?

Here's a pic
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
eurospec1

i would have to see it, but just the thought of what i think it would look like isnt appealing, and getting the headlights to work properly like you are describing wont be as easy as it sounds
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I'd keep the factory headlights and run the air ducts on a 69-72 front bumper where the turn signals go.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
67chevy1series

no.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Daves70

If the back of the cowl hood is open, It should get enough air.And then you could watch that monster twist from the drivers seat.I don't like the looks of all the pipes running under the hood.JMO
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

move the batt to the bed,use a one wire alt and cut a hole inboard of the lights in the rad support for the air inlets.Then you should get cool air from in the grille for the blower, and you can use the lights.I think you'llneed to go one wire on the alt to get the volt reg out of the way.you may even be able to run air filters between the grille and rad support.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Plenty of old-school drag racers ran the air intake ducts beneath the front bumper as suggested in an earlier post. Only problem is you gotta be sure it doesn't suck up any water if you try driving it through a deep spot or a lot of rain.

The suggestion about the cowl hood would have the cooler, denser air at the base of the windshield which would also be a higher-pressure air supply. That's what makes a cowl induction work.

Or, swap in a GMC grille, with 4 headlights and use the inboard buckets as your point of modification to route the air. But, you'd still have to make some holes in the radiator support...

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
ItsRandy

Do it like the NASCAR guy's do it. Cut a hole into the area at the base of the windshield and pull the air from the existing cowl vent. You'll have to make a custom air cleaner housing but you may have to do that anyway.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #10
laplander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Plenty of old-school drag racers ran the air intake ducts beneath the front bumper as suggested in an earlier post. Only problem is you gotta be sure it doesn't suck up any water if you try driving it through a deep spot or a lot of rain.

The suggestion about the cowl hood would have the cooler, denser air at the base of the windshield which would also be a higher-pressure air supply. That's what makes a cowl induction work.

Or, swap in a GMC grille, with 4 headlights and use the inboard buckets as your point of modification to route the air. But, you'd still have to make some holes in the radiator support...
The big if is going to be whether I can fit this all in under a cowl hood, that was why I was looking for alternatives for fresh air as the air cleaner is going to have to be super low profile. If I have to cut part of the cowl away and make some sort of box to draw the needed air in that way than that might be an option. Anyone done something like this before?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
71swb4x4

The problem with the low headlights is that you may not get them to aim properly. You may be blinding everyone at night. It's possible, but I think the other ideas posted are better than the headlight idea.