The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #1
brad20653

No parking lights in rear

I have no parking lights in rear or turn signal they wont come on and both turn signal lights stay on in the dash any ideas ? pics
Old 08-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Bad ground, probably, Where? Good question. Why? Corrosion, broken wire, bad switch...who knows?

NAPA sells a tool that you can use to clean the sockets of bulbs like parking light, tail light, etc. I don't have the part number, but their UPC number is 14994 00139. It is called a "Socket Cleaning Brush". Costs about $5, or less.

You may have a bad wiring harness, or your flasher may be bad.

When my son broke the 4-way flasher knob on his '69, I had to take the 4-way flasher out to stop the activity. At this point, the turn lights on the front, would come on when you hit the brake, and the dash indicators would also light up....all from just pulling the flasher out of the socket. I don't think the turn signals would work after that, but I am not sure. So, you may have a bad 4-way flasher, or maybe not.

Electrical problems are often blamed on "gremlins". You're learning more about them, now. Just rewire your truck, replace all of the lighting devices, the dash panel, and you may still have the problem. The answer will be simple, when you find it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Brad, my money is on a bad ground. Do you have a wooden floor in your bed? The trucks with wood are mor likely to have the problem.
To verify this, unscrew the tail light lens and then take a length of wire, and secure it to the tail light bucket. I normally remove one of the 2 bolts that secure the bucket to the bed, ad place the wire underneath the bolt, and tighten it back down. With the other end of the wire, bolt it to something on the frame rail. Ensure a good clean bare metal section for good grounding. If your lights come on, then pick a section of the bed's sheet metal and ground it to the frame...as long as it is metal to frame, it should prety much ground if everything is clean.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote