The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Rogue_Alphonse

So I have a spare K5 roof

it's gloss-coated [like the one already on my K5], has privacy glass [also like my K5], and it even has that aluminum spoiler thing, which my K5 doesn't have [though one end of it hooked a tree branch years ago and kinda bent it]

I was thinking of selling the windows, or at least keeping them incase one of mine gets broken out, and cutting out that recessed square part that;s inside the roof up at the top.....basically making an open top. then getting some marine sharkskin and a bunch of snaps to keep it sealed up.

Thing is, I love the solid roof in the winter time. Hardly any road noise and it keeps all the heat in and even amazingly doesn't fog up.

Worth it or no?
1991 Mustang GT Vert, T-5 w/ Pro 5.0, Trick Flow upper & lower, BBK cold air intake, 3:73, BAMA chip, etc.
1988 K5 Blazer, [coming soon] TBI 400, SM465/NP208, 12 bolt rear, 3:08's, looks like a 1980.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 fully loaded daily driver!
Where there's a will, there's a rig!
Rogue_Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: So I have a spare K5 roof

it will leak..a buddy tried this once

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Your41Plague12

I know someone who also tried this, and yes, it leaked . I wouldn't advise cutting it up. I'd sell it, get some cash, and put it toward a soft top so you can have one of each. Just my two cents.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Berg

Roscommon had a kit to convert your Blazer to a sort of uni-body super short bed pickup for the US Forest Service military vehicle re-utilization program. It required hacking up the fiberglass top. I thought about doing something similar but of a slightly better taste. I wanted to cut the back section and re-angle it so it wasn't as much of a slope and use 3M Body Panel Adhesive to bond it to the original front lip and inner structure. Then you can get a piece of plexi or lexan and make a back window that can be held into the window channel. I wanted to make side panels that got attached to the quarter panels and then make a back wall and put window tracks in it to let the window go down inside of. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it would be kind of cheap and lightweight and could be taken out in about 10 minutes if done correctly. I plan on doing spray-in bed liner and already have floor drains so it wouldn't be a problem if a small amount of water got into the cab area.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote