The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
bo-w

66 with a 350 tall V.C. hitting the firewall opinions needed

so here is the situation iv got a 66 with a 350 and it had a 327 intake with center breather, and a 2 barrel carb. i had a nice aluminum intake,4 barrel holley and got some nice aluminum tall valve covers with breathers. intake went on no problem but my drivers side vc is about 1/16 from the firewall and passinger side won't mount , it hits the firewall. so my question is do i "massage" the firewall with a bfh or do you have any other less drastic fixes to my problem? all opinions are welcome . thanks
bo-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Rooster's 67

Re: 66 with a 350 tall V.C. hitting the firewall opinions needed

run short valve covers, beat the valve covers, move motor forward on the frame mount holes(big undertaking). pretty much the choices.

I would avoid beating the firewall, you may want it original one day.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
losthope

if the problem is you cant get the cover to set into place because its hitting the firewall but think it would work if you could get it into place ,you may be able to unbolt the tranny mount and jack the trans up and get the engine to tilt forward a little bit to get cover on and then lower jack and rebolt the tranny into place, or might even be able to shim the tranny mount on crossmember a little bit without changing the angles to much....just my two cents...but id just run small covers if it were me i like the look better then the tall ones.

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

If you dont need the tall covers for valvetrain clearance, I'd just run the short covers
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Don't touch the firewall!

I have tall covers on my '65 (not aluminum though) and they fit. Its tight but they fit.

Loosen up the engine saddles and "wiggle" the engine forward a 'smidge' then tighten the mounts down.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
bo-w

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
Don't touch the firewall!

I have tall covers on my '65 (not aluminum though) and they fit. Its tight but they fit.

Loosen up the engine saddles and "wiggle" the engine forward a 'smidge' then tighten the mounts down.
ahh i may try this approach, thanks all for the input. I will let you know how it go's . Still deciding what to do .
bo-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

My engine saddles are mounted in the rearward most holes. The holes for the saddles are oblong and the mounts are slid forward.

I have enough room for engine movement and to run plug wires between the firewall and valve covers.

Unless you have some really big covers there should be no reason to touch the firewall.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote