The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
aficio

Is vapor locking possible

I am getting beat up here, i have a 87 tbi 454 Silverado 20, not quite 70k on it. I had fuel problems with it a few months back and replace the pumps, screens, switches and redid the grounds. the truck has run fine except for a couple of time this summer when i parked it and it did not restart and i had to flip the tank switch and it would start fine. i thought it might just be a bad hot start, today my daughter was driving it down to road and stopped to turn into a drive and the truck just died, she tried restarting to no avail, she flip the tank switch a couple of times. Some people helped her get it to a safe location, and i called a tow truck for it. when the tow truck got there they were able to start it right up and it ran fine. I live in the Phoenix area and we have been having 110 - 117 days, is it possible that it vapor locked? any ideas?
aficio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
rwhit57

Re: Is vapor locking possible

First off, welcome to the board. I am not going to rule out vapor locking in your heat, but i don't ever recall hearing vapor locking as an issue with TBI stuff. Could it be a bad pick up coil?
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
aficio

Would not be my first thought, but hey that's why i am asking for ideas. Wouldn't it give me issues as i am driving also?
Thanks
aficio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficio View Post
Would not be my first thought, but hey that's why i am asking for ideas. Wouldn't it give me issues as i am driving also?
Thanks
I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it did a little with the girl. I think I would look at the distributor and maybe change the module and keep the pick up coil in mind. Mine did something similar some time back. The distributor was horrible looking on the inside. I didn't realize how long it had been since I'd been in it. I cleaned everything good, replaced the rotor and no more problems. That was 15-20k miles ago. Also I have heard of guys having issues with the gas these days with the old TBI units. A few cans of fuel injector cleaner might not hurt. I'm sure some others will have some good ideas.
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote