The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Time For A New Power Steering Box.

Looking for advice on where to buy a P.S.B....need to replace my stock box, I was looking at the one that CPP carries, has anyone had experience with a CPP box? or has anyone got any recommendations on other stockists that I could check out?
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ck/6066MSB.htm

Thanks.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
ItsRandy

Re: Time For A New Power Steering Box.

This is where I bought mine http://www.powersteeringpros.com but I think they are in San Diego, California. The shipping may get pricey if they ship international. I bought a quick ratio box but have read those boxes are fewer turns lock to lock not because they are quicker, but because they move your steering gear a shorter distance, making your turning radius larger. I don't know if that is true (I hope not), I haven't driven my truck with the new box installed.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
This is where I bought mine http://www.powersteeringpros.com but I think they are in San Diego, California. The shipping may get pricey if they ship international. I bought a quick ratio box but have read those boxes are fewer turns lock to lock not because they are quicker, but because they move your steering gear a shorter distance, making your turning radius larger. I don't know if that is true (I hope not), I haven't driven my truck with the new box installed.
Thanks Randy, I had decided that a quick ratio box is what I was going to replace mine with too, they are just for fewer turns lock to lock as you say, but can't affect your turning radius as that is a fixed entity...would like to know how it affects handling? if at all, hopefully someone who has installed one of these will let us know.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
70cst

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/67-72_chassis_2.htm

Classic Heartbeat

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
OhOneWS6

I installed a 73 up box in mine. It is 3.5 instead of 4.5 Lock to Lock. The spindle still hits the stops on both control arms so the turning radius is not affected. I have not driven the truck more than around the block after replacing the box so I have no feedback as far as handling goes. I got mine from a wrecking yard. I believe 73-78 is a direct bolt in replacement. 79-86 will also bolt in but they have metric o-ring style fitting for the hoses. If you use one of the 79-86 boxes you will either need adapters or you will need to change your hoses as well.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
treveiger

I have a 81 on up installed on my truck, it has the o ring style fitting on it so now im trying to find a place to make a custom hose...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Street Smart

I have a 70 panel with a regular (4 1/4 lock-lock) p.s.b. drives good, and i have a 67 Sub with a box from a SS454 pick-up (3 1/4 L-L). the closer ratio is a little more responsive, requires a tiny more effort to turn, but a great upgrade.
Both go full turn by the wall, no there`s no turning radius issues.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Street Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
I have a 81 on up installed on my truck, it has the o ring style fitting on it so now im trying to find a place to make a custom hose...
Posted via Mobile Device
Sometimes if there is room u can cut the end off swap the tube nut and re-flare one end,(double flare). You might be able to swap out the regulator in the back your pump from an "o-ring stye pump" and use a newer year p.s. line.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
leddzepp

I bought mine from O'Reillys. Just a stock replacement unit. With my old one traded as a core, I think it was $130. I have not had a problem with it, and have driven the truck daily for several months now with the new (rebuilt) box.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The only problem with a custom hose is finding a replacement part down the road. Not a big deal for you but it could be a hassle for the next owner should you ever sell your truck. There are also adapters available to convert from metric o-ring to flare. You can try Lee Manufacturing for the adapters. http://lee-powersteering.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Smart View Post
Sometimes if there is room u can cut the end off swap the tube nut and re-flare one end,(double flare). You might be able to swap out the regulator in the back your pump from an "o-ring stye pump" and use a newer year p.s. line.
Both good options. I have also heard tale that you can pull the flair out of your old box and install it in the metric box. I have not actually seen this done but word is the metric threads are close enough to the standard threads that the standard hose fittings will actually screw in.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 09-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Why are you needing to replace?

If it's leaking, I replaced the seals in the input shaft and the pitman shaft on mine. Fairly easy to do but just be aware that some rebuild shops will not accept a core that's been messed with. However, a salvage yard one is around $20 around here.

I have two boxes. One is 2.5 lock to lock and one that is about 3.5 lock to lock. The 2.5 was okay but a little squirrely on the highway. I am now using the 3.5 on my 68 GMC truck and like it better.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
You know I looked at Wes first and didn't see these...blind as well as stupid
I'll buy from Wes he has always been great to me and never had an issue with shipping to the U.K, I could use any of the other suppliers suggested but as soon as I hit the international shipping button it all goes tits up, with over the top shipping charges, or they won't ship to anywhere as extreme as the U.K.

Thanks guys for all the help.

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
The only problem with a custom hose is finding a replacement part down the road. Not a big deal for you but it could be a hassle for the next owner should you ever sell your truck. There are also adapters available to convert from metric o-ring to flare. You can try Lee Manufacturing for the adapters. http://lee-powersteering.com/

Both good options. I have also heard tale that you can pull the flair out of your old box and install it in the metric box. I have not actually seen this done but word is the metric threads are close enough to the standard threads that the standard hose fittings will actually screw in.

Ya the pos po welded the end on for the o ring fitting an never told me so I had to research like crazy an run around to figure what the hell was going on with my set up... Id never do that to someone but o well at least I know now...
Posted via Mobile Device