The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Skellington

1 ton conversion questions

I am planing on changeing a 1 ton crew cab srw truck to a 1/2 ton. I have some questions about the conversion process.

1) Are the a arms convertable? If not, looks like I will have to be. creative.

2) The frame seems a bit... thick. What is the difference in height? Mounts? Looks like ill be doing some trimming.

3) Has anyone done this to a 1 ton? If not, I know a bunch of 3/4 tons have been converted.

4) Is there anything else I need to be aware of for this conversion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
kwin

Re: 1 ton conversion questions

I am in the process of doing this my self, I was advised that the uppers are the same but the lowers are different, or vise versa, I used the entire crossmember from a 1/2 ton it simply unbolts and bolts in to the one ton frame.
I used a rear section from a 1/2 ton , measured cut the frame put the new rear section in place and fish plated it.
I am making a short box hence the new frame in the rear.
Not sure what mounts you are referring to but it seems to me that the extra frame thickness is from the center line down. I have not had to modify any mounts.
There is approximately 2 inches difference in frame thickness, for me this has not been an issue but it may depend on the approach you take.
I have the lowered front suspension installed , new lowered rear suspension installed, custom length box done, and am heading to the shop now to put in the new engine... wish me luck!

Keith
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Skellington

Sounds like fun. any pics of the project? build thread?
After reading about converting the front end, It seems that the conversion wont be that difficult after all. It sounds like trimming the frame will be a stright forward process if it just hangs lower than the others. i should find me a 1/2 ton for a donor, or go to the half off event at the pick n pull yard.
Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
kwin

Long block in , have to pick up intake gaskets as well as exhaust and valve cover gaskets, then it will be complete.

Keith
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote