The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
HEI451
Account Suspended

Brake booster mounting question for CaptainFab

I was messing around under the hood of my 1 ton earlier today, with the S10 brake booster, and came up with a question that I probably already know the answer to, but just need a more knowledge than I have.

The S10 booster mounts the unit to the firewall with the master cylinder studs at horizontal, straight across. The studs on the master to booster end up straight across.

My drum brake master has the same center to center dimension for the mount bolts, as does the S10. But, the 1 ton master has offset bolt orientation.

Now, for the questions:

Is here anything inside the booster that would stop it from working correctly IF it were rotated to the angle of the drum master mounting holes? This looks like about 35 degrees of rotation counter clock wise. This would allow the master to bolt to the booster, in the correct orientation, not tilted, no adapter.

The other adapter, firewall to booster, would be the part that would get redrilled/manufactured to rotate it on the firewall for that correct master bolt angle. I don't remember anything inside the booster that was sensitive to where it sits on the firewall, and, from the outside, the only thing that would get changed is the vacuum hose fitting, rotated down about 35 degrees, as the booster body was rotated.

What say you, will the booster work right if it is not sitting in the same position on this chassis, vs its original home, the S10??
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Brake booster mounting question for CaptainFab

I don't see why it would matter at what angle the booster was mounted.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
kieth

I had problems with the cpt fab bracket , tried to use a same year 66 vacuum booster but it would not work since they had a bracket that mounted to the brake pedal and the booster that changed the direction of travel. finally gave up and mounted the 91 burb booster directly to the firewall......of course I am never in a hurry, guess I did not read the booster threads close enough to get the correct vacuum booster. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
HEI451
Account Suspended

I don't either, but just wanted to ask the expert. I am not especially fond of the giant S10 booster, and may well try to find a pancake one to use. The whole premise to this build is to use what I have laying around, or modifying/building stuff before purchasing things I have no spare funds to buy.

Example: I need to build an exhaust system for this truck, expensive U and J bends, straight pipe, and I already have the Flow-Master muffler. I have held off, from no funds. the other day, I stopped by a local shop here that does exhaust system work, as wel as repairs, and I sometimes get called in to help them with projects they don't know about. The owner has a Honda CR250R that a local shop just "fixed", and it is a full on disaster. Being a 40 year professional automotive and motorcycle mechanic, I took the bike and did a complete on it, fixed everything. For my efforts, I have the pick of exhaust pieces form that shop now, and wil start the exhaust system in a week or two.

I can also afford to wait for the brakes, they work as non-power now, will take the added time needed to find a suitable booster, and then, get the Captainfab bracket.

Thanks
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The boosters that are compatable with my booster bracket are listed in the for sale thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=1#post3257836

If there is ever a question on compatability with any of my products, just send me a PM, and I will respond within 24 hours, usually less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
I had problems with the cpt fab bracket , tried to use a same year 66 vacuum booster but it would not work since they had a bracket that mounted to the brake pedal and the booster that changed the direction of travel. finally gave up and mounted the 91 burb booster directly to the firewall......of course I am never in a hurry, guess I did not read the booster threads close enough to get the correct vacuum booster. Kieth
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote