The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
cjohnson6772

How much does a 2.5/4 drop help handling?

I really want to improve the handling of my truck. I've got a factory front sway bar. I've got an Iroc bar for the rear but after reading in the suspension forum here I don't think I will use it. I've read the camaro bar is too much for the rear and can hurt handling.

So what else can I do to improve to handling? I'm not really big into dropped trucks. I have been considering 2.5/4 drop just to improve to stance a bit and lower the center of gravity. So my question is this: How much will a 2.5/4 drop improve handling and reduce body roll? Will the drop adversely affect ride quality? I am running 275/60R15 tires. Are there any foreseeable issues with this combo? The truck is a '72 shortbed.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: How much does a 2.5/4 drop help handling?

alot of guys that drop want CHEAPPPPP// you get what you payfor

by replasing the 40yo componennts ,balljoints tyrods bushings as well as rear trailarm bushings as well as shock geometry and quality / there will b a noticable improvement in handeling and driving comfort

i've used the helwig rear swaybar and it worked great, lots of guys have rear problems by going with a too biig bar// rear bar should b no bigger than 3/4the diameter of the frontbar
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As cdowns said...

To add to that, a drop like you mention may help in the roll area but I didn't notice much difference in 2.5 front and 3.5 inch rear drop in my truck. It's going to be trial and error striking a balance between road stability and comfort since these trucks were primarily made for work. A complete workover of the suspension can be pretty expensive.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
SCOTI

The drop in height itself is only going to help so much. Lowering the center-of-gravity makes a difference, but it needs other parts to take full advantage of that lower COG.

Better geometry, better spring rates, shocks designed to compliment, chassis stiffening, modern rubber, & alignment settings to take advantage of everything.

If it's handling you truely seek, I would check into the Hotchkis C10 kit. You get all the benefits mentioned in a well designed & engineered kit. It works & is proven. They list the kit as 4/6 drop but that's most likely w/dropped spindles. Substitute stock spindles & see if they have a slightly taller rear spring choice if you need less drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
cjohnson6772

Thanks to all of you for weighing in on the issue. I've got a couple of questions for each of you though.

CDowns: The stock front bar is 1.125" if I am not mistaken and I think the Camaro rear bar I have is 0.875". This is close to 75%. Do you think it is worthwhile to install the Camaro bar, or should I just stay away from it? I prefer the Camaro bar to aftermarket bars because it is on the axle and up out of the way.

68gmsee: Did you just use drop spindles and drop springs? Did you get drop shocks as well? I am probably looking for 2" drop springs in the front and 4" drop springs in the rear due to budget. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a must have?

SCOTI: I looked at the Hotchkis kit and while it looks like a superb kit I just can't spend anywhere near that amount of money. I'm not looking to race this thing on a track. I am mainly just trying to eliminate body roll under fairly normal (maybe slightly aggressive) driving. Do you think that a moderate drop is enough by itself to appreciate a difference in body roll?

Thanks in advance guys. And feel free to weigh in on any of the questions, not just the ones I directed towards you. I really appreciate the advise. I would love to buy one of the awesome pre-engineered kits, but a college kid's fundage just will not allow it.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
Thanks to all of you for weighing in on the issue. I've got a couple of questions for each of you though.

CDowns: The stock front bar is 1.125" if I am not mistaken and I think the Camaro rear bar I have is 0.875". This is close to 75%. Do you think it is worthwhile to install the Camaro bar, or should I just stay away from it? I prefer the Camaro bar to aftermarket bars because it is on the axle and up out of the way.

68gmsee: Did you just use drop spindles and drop springs? Did you get drop shocks as well? I am probably looking for 2" drop springs in the front and 4" drop springs in the rear due to budget. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a must have?

SCOTI: I looked at the Hotchkis kit and while it looks like a superb kit I just can't spend anywhere near that amount of money. I'm not looking to race this thing on a track. I am mainly just trying to eliminate body roll under fairly normal (maybe slightly aggressive) driving. Do you think that a moderate drop is enough by itself to appreciate a difference in body roll?

Thanks in advance guys. And feel free to weigh in on any of the questions, not just the ones I directed towards you. I really appreciate the advise. I would love to buy one of the awesome pre-engineered kits, but a college kid's fundage just will not allow it.
Lower COG, bump up the spring rates, get some high quality mono-tube gas shocks, & swap to the HD factory 1.25" (3/4 & 1-ton) front sway bar w/poly bushings. Set the front camber @ -.5 ~ -.75° & dial is as much caster as allowed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
Thanks to all of you for weighing in on the issue. I've got a couple of questions for each of you though.....

68gmsee: Did you just use drop spindles and drop springs? Did you get drop shocks as well? I am probably looking for 2" drop springs in the front and 4" drop springs in the rear due to budget. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a must have?.....
In front, dropped springs and in the rear I removed (IIRC) 4 upper leaf springs out of 8 that my truck had. I would go with dropped spindles if I were doing it again. (may still do it)
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
robnolimit

for a 2 1/2" - 4" drop, I'd use a drop spindle in the front with a stock spring. In the back, use a block to get the first 2". then a 2" drop coil, this will help in the ride quality area over a 4" drop spring.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The drop in height itself is only going to help so much. Lowering the center-of-gravity makes a difference, but it needs other parts to take full advantage of that lower COG.

Better geometry, better spring rates, shocks designed to compliment, chassis stiffening, modern rubber, & alignment settings to take advantage of everything.

If it's handling you truely seek, I would check into the Hotchkis C10 kit. You get all the benefits mentioned in a well designed & engineered kit. It works & is proven. They list the kit as 4/6 drop but that's most likely w/dropped spindles. Substitute stock spindles & see if they have a slightly taller rear spring choice if you need less drop.

SCOTI – Thanks for throwing our name in there! We spent a lot of time making the C-10 truck kit perform awesome!

Cjohnson6772 – You can install our parts separately if there are some parts you feel would get you to your performance goal.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote