The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
ChumBucket

**Total Noob - Quick Build, Need Input**

Ok, my 1st post so a little about me before I get to the begging portion...yes, it's wordy, stay with it.

The whole "old skool" bug bit me while I was in Iraq in 2009, somebody showed me one of the rat rodder magazines and I was totall blown away, never knew anything like this existed, since my return I had looked hi and lo and done tons of research trying to figure out what I wanted to get. (My wife conceded to my "deployment gift to myself" sham, she's the $hit!!).

I was introduced to this site about 6 months ago and you guys are one of the primary reasons that I ended up selecting a 69 LWB as my 1st "old skool" build. It's old enough to be cool, old enough so I can do all the work myself, new enough so there was relatively a good supply of vehicles at a reasonable price, popular enough so that aftermarket stuff is in abundance and finally, its a truck, so there is a practical use for the thing.

Some background on the truck....its a 69 C10 LWB with a crate 350 and saginaw 4 speed manual. It's got the blue/white/blue paint scheme, I know, I know, pictures will be forthcoming once I get this thing going.

Now, this is where you guys come in. One of the most striking things about this site is all of the expert advice and suggestions that I've seen offered up countless times. It's like a bunch of brothers all trying to out-do each other, but at the same time willing to lend a hand or a piece of advice without hesitation.

The following is a list of things that I "think" I want to do; I want you guys to offer advice, suggestions and/or criticism (if required) to get me headed in the right direction. Yes, I'm very aware that all of my questions have been asked at least 1,000 times but my prime resource (free labor and shop space) is on a very short fuse, I need to get the big stuff done within the next few weeks or I'm afraid my delay will cost $$$$$'s.

Here goes, y'all don't hold back...

1. I plan to transform this thing from a LWB to SWB. Thought I might start with the most controversial first. Will this decision impact or prevent me from doing the rest of my list? I plan to buy new side panels, re-use the gate, front and bed. The bed will be rhino-lined so the re-stitch won't be so noticeable or required to be perfect. Any pitfalls? Best place to buy side panels? LMC has both for $1000 with free shipping?

2. I've wrestled with this one a bunch. 4/6 static drop or bags? Why?

3. Can I run 20's w/ either option? 4/6 or bags?

4. I think ECE or somebody has an all inclusive 4/6 drop for about $800, BUT if I'm going to regret the decision that I didn't bag it, let me know if any of you have gone this route and regretted or not.

5. Does an all-inclusive bag system exist for our trucks? I've seen the kits w/ 4 bags, compressor, tank and controller (and accessories) but with the research I've done don't I have to have plates for the mounts, cups for the CA's and notch kit for the rear? Anybody out there with that ever-elusive, all-inclusive list that I've been searching for?

6. Fuel tank relocate. Seems like this is "the thing" to do...why? Looks like a total pain in the a$$ with all of the variables. Are there any worries about clearance? Somebody whack me up side the head with some strong "this is why's" about this one.

That's a good start for now, hopefully you guys will post up a lot of replies that we'll go back-and-forth on. I'll ask about the other stuff later (paint, interior, wheels, motor, a/c, etc.)

Guys, seriously, thanks in advance for your help and I can't wait to see what kind of reponses I get.

(moderator, my apologies in advance for what I'm sure are about 15 violations to forum posting rules, I blame my Alabama public education!)
ChumBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: **Total Noob - Quick Build, Need Input**

Welcome aboard, and thank you for your service.

For the wheel question you should be fine. I have lowered coils in mine and I have 20 on all 4. 20"x 8 1/2 up front and 20" x 10" out back running a 3/8 spacer.No c section either. I did put helper bags in the rear coils for better ride. This is my D?D though.
The bags are nice on show trucks but for a driver myself I stick with a static drop.
The gas tank isn't a must but these trucks have a bad habbit of having a gas smell in the cab all the time with a stock tank. I put mine in the bed because of the in tank fuel pump.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: **Total Noob - Quick Build, Need Input**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumBucket View Post
;
1. I plan to transform this thing from a LWB to SWB. Thought I might start with the most controversial first. Will this decision impact or prevent me from doing the rest of my list?
No.

I plan to buy new side panels, re-use the gate, front and bed. The bed will be rhino-lined so the re-stitch won't be so noticeable or required to be perfect. Any pitfalls? Best place to buy side panels?
Anywhere but LMC.
I'm am not a fan of theirs.
Great catelogs with cool pics,... but subpar quality parts has me soured on the whole company.
Check out our board vendors

2. I've wrestled with this one a bunch. 4/6 static drop or bags? Why?
4/6 static.
You need all the same stuff to do bags.
Static first.
Finish the rest of the truck.
Drive and work all the bugs out.
Bags later when you have the cash.
Swap springs for bags.
Add air management.

3. Can I run 20's w/ either option? 4/6 or bags?

4. I think ECE or somebody has an all inclusive 4/6 drop for about $800, BUT if I'm going to regret the decision that I didn't bag it, let me know if any of you have gone this route and regretted or not.
ECE would be my first choice.
Bags replace the springs.
Put all your money in a quality static drop, with all the correct parts.
It's not just springs.
It's shocks, rear track bars, shock relocators, c-notches, etc

5. Does an all-inclusive bag system exist for our trucks? I've seen the kits w/ 4 bags, compressor, tank and controller (and accessories) but with the research I've done don't I have to have plates for the mounts, cups for the CA's and notch kit for the rear?

Anybody out there with that ever-elusive, all-inclusive list that I've been searching for?
Porterbuilt fabrication does.
RideTech does.

6. Fuel tank relocate. Seems like this is "the thing" to do...why? Looks like a total pain in the a$$ with all of the variables. Are there any worries about clearance? Somebody whack me up side the head with some strong "this is why's" about this one.
Depends how low you go.
Anywhere from blazer tanks to custom aluminum fuel cells.
Easy item to add later.
Build your truck a little at a time.
So many "full on" builds NEVER get finished.
Again,... our board vendors will be very helpful here
Welcome.
Heck of a first post. Ha.
I'll try to answer above.
In the future,... you might get more responses, by posting individual threads for each question.
Sometimes these "multi-question" threads scare away potential answers. Ha.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I drove my blazer static dropped (5/6) for a couple years.
Then decided to go with bags.
Pulled the springs and sold them.
Added Slam Specialties bags, RideTech AirPod, tubular a-arms, and 20" Torq Thrusts.

Trust me,... you need a couple years to save for the air ride stuff.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Also,... what kind of budget do you have planned?

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
ChumBucket

Dang, thanks guys - that's the kind of stuff I was looking for, some folks to keep me in line on my decision making.

Sorry for the length of the post...trying to get lots of information for these 1st few initial decisions that I believe will impact my enthusiam for the project, as well as the $$$.

Budget...2 ways to answer:

1. Wife - "that's great and I'm SO happy you're enjoying working on your "cute" truck, do what you have to do to get this thing done"

2.$4k - $5k for EVERYTHING...so each decision (static vs air) will have an impact on every other decision
Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Jofin66GTO

Great post. You asked all the same questions I've been wondering about. I plan on doing the SWB mod also. My model is coming from the past thread on here. All great advice as far as I can tell haha.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

I've also been leaning towards a fuel cell in the bed as I assume Andy4639 has done. How do you refill the tank Andy? Can you post pics of your setup if its not classified? Which cell did you go with?

I like this way for two reasons. I can keep the spare tire assy, and, I would assume, in case of an accident it would be the most central and safe location. For example survive someone rear ending me on the highway without turning into a fireball. Plus a fiberglass tonneau cover would hide it away.

One more item. Andy4639, first off very nice looking truck. Koodos to your build. Where did you pick up your HID mod for headlights? looks very good and its always nice to see further than five foot in front of truck haha.

Gotta love the deployment money Chum haha. Thanks for your service brother. I was with 1st ID in '03 and '05 in Mosul and Tikrit.
Jofin66GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
ChumBucket

GTO - THANKS for that build link on the frame cut, that's exactly what I was looking for and had in mind. Nobody understands why I didn't just buy a SWB to start with, what's the fun in that if you can't use cool tools to cut/break/weld $hit? This d@mn forum is so deep and wide, it's very easy to get lost in all the information, kinda like my computer at work "...I know I've got that file/photo/spreadsheet on here somewhere...". Ah yes, Mosul, I did '04 there w/ 101 and Tal Afar (wild wild west) in '09, thanks for your service as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Jofin66GTO

No problems. Feelings mutual. After we're done (feels like will be years for me) we'll be able to drive around with some pride. Bolt ons are easy, but experience is going to be earned with a MIG haha.

Out of context statement. I heard working under Gen Petraeus when he was with the 101st in Mosul was good business. Heard great things about his command tactics.
Jofin66GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: **Total Noob - Quick Build, Need Input**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofin66GTO View Post
Great post. You asked all the same questions I've been wondering about. I plan on doing the SWB mod also. My model is coming from the past thread on here. All great advice as far as I can tell haha.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

I've also been leaning towards a fuel cell in the bed as I assume Andy4639 has done. How do you refill the tank Andy? Can you post pics of your setup if its not classified? Which cell did you go with?

I like this way for two reasons. I can keep the spare tire assy, and, I would assume, in case of an accident it would be the most central and safe location. For example survive someone rear ending me on the highway without turning into a fireball. Plus a fiberglass tonneau cover would hide it away.

One more item. Andy4639, first off very nice looking truck. Koodos to your build. Where did you pick up your HID mod for headlights? looks very good and its always nice to see further than five foot in front of truck haha.

Gotta love the deployment money Chum haha. Thanks for your service brother. I was with 1st ID in '03 and '05 in Mosul and Tikrit.
No secrets on my truck. Some may not agree with what I have done but it has proved itself to me. I put a factory suburban tank in the bed 42 gal 1993 with a camaro fuel pump installed by me in it for the 305 TPI. I bought a boat plastic black cap that I installed right behind the drivers side in the bed cover. It's vented and runs to the canister up front.
Lights are just hooked up to relays, no HID's just good voltage and amps!
Black cap in the picture.

My son is at bootcamp now in Missouri. thanks to all our service men & women!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I'd do the tank relocate later if money is an issue. Static drop. Dont order the bedsides yet. Theres a guy in the knoxville area that has a ton of these trucks and I'm sure he will have a shortbed for way less than a grand(as well as a million other parts).

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Another option,... is to find a swb frame.
That way you can perform all the suspension mods and frame rebuild, FIRST,... and then swap your sheetmetal later.
Plus this allows you to use your truck to chase parts, haul parts, etc.
Then later swap sheetmetal.
When these trucks are blown apart,... they take up a ton of room.
Build a chassis and enjoy your truck at the same time!

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I had to go back into my email to get the info on the parts guy. His name is Dean Johnson, his email is tnchev@gmail.com, and he answers emails promptly. Also, he probably will have a swb roller or a frame if you decide to take the good advice of lolife99.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Welcome aboard, and thank you for your service.

For the wheel question you should be fine. I have lowered coils in mine and I have 20 on all 4. 20"x 8 1/2 up front and 20" x 10" out back running a 3/8 spacer.No c section either. I did put helper bags in the rear coils for better ride. This is my D?D though.
The bags are nice on show trucks but for a driver myself I stick with a static drop.
The gas tank isn't a must but these trucks have a bad habbit of having a gas smell in the cab all the time with a stock tank. I put mine in the bed because of the in tank fuel pump.

totaly off th ewall but i just decided to follow the same lines on your truck when i get to paint mine.. I may even use that charcoal on the bottom
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
ChumBucket

99 - Dude, great suggestion...I never even thought of that angle!

71 - Thanks buddy for the contact name/e-mail...I'll contact him tomorrow, a trip to K'ville may be in my future

Seriously, the folks on this site are incredible

I'll keep y'all updated and hopefully be starting a build thread very soon!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
ChumBucket

OK guys, after all of your advice and the fact that I've got to start making some decisions VERY soon and get this thing started what do y'all think about this:

1. Cab and bed come off. Cab to be painted re-installed, hopefully my trip to Knoxville this Friday will lead me to a SWB bed to bring home and paint.

2. Cut frame down from LWB to SWB, strip and paint.

3. While the cab/bed are off the frame install this stuff:
A. Porterbuilt Stage II Basic Rear
B. Porterbuilt Stage I Front

4. Put it all back together

5. Save up for: rear gas tank, wheels and tires

Questions:

1. I don't plan to lay frame but w/ the notch in the rear frame and w/ 20" wheels do I HAVE to do drop spindles in order to get a good front/rear stance?

2. The Porterbuilt stuff comes w/ bags at all 4 corners, can y'all help me out with a materials list to finish off the air system? (compressor, tank, ???, ???)

Thanks guys, I can't wait to pull the trigger and start spending some $$$'s, I know as soon as I do all this indecision will be gone.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
WarBeard

Just my 2 cent's..I'm loving all the low long beds on here. I think if your gonna go low..Long and low is the way to go!...OK 2 cent's spent!

Thank you for your service!
1989 V2500 Suburban 350/400.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 LWB 350/350.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 SWB 350/400.. SOLD!
1999 Silverado Z71 LS1.. Wife's rig WRECKED!
On the hunt for a new project.......
I'm a Chevy guy.....I'm just not a "NEW" Chevy guy.
WarBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #18
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomech View Post
Just my 2 cent's..I'm loving all the low long beds on here. I think if your gonna go low..Long and low is the way to go!...OK 2 cent's spent!

Thank you for your service!
And the longer they are, the lower they look(8 1/2' box on mine) crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
71 GMCDRVR

Amen to that brotha...long and low is the way....and Chum thanks for your service sir and good luck on the overhaul and welcome to the forum, keep us posted on your progress
Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
MudBug

Welcome and thanks for you service.

1- I would keep the long wheel base, I like the long slinky look.

2-I have a 69 chevy that I'm going to install a 4/6 drop from ECE in a couple weeks. Good people to work with.

3-Keep the original motor with an overdrive transmission. My 69 has a 307 thats runs smooth and I've ordered a Keisler trans to give it some highway legs.

I saved my 69 from a junk yard and the front suspension needs rebuilt so I bought everthing to rebuild and low the truck all at the same time from ECE.
I'm kinda going for an old school look because I'm to cheap to pay for paint.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
brad_man_72
the boat guy

if youre notching the rear I'd get as much drop from spindles as I could. It keeps the suspension travel in the "sweet spot".
why are you moving the gas tank? Better do it before paint! You said one of the reasons for buying a truck as it's practical to haul stuff, if you throw a fuell cell in the bed and add a toneau cover you lose alot of praticality. I put mine under the bed with the fuel door in the side. Mostly because I'm running efi. The weight in the rear does help ballance the truck.
new seats was one of the best mods I've done. More comfortable and more storage. Front swaybar is also a good mod if you don't have one.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
CURSED GEARS

Chumbucket, I've nothing usefull to add, just wanted to say welcome home. You reminded me of myself, only, I dreamed of a bike build while I was "over there" Came home and built it. Aint it great? I've since built my 70 truck also.
Again, welcome home.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote