The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
gator2511

Thumbs up Hot Spot For RUST!!

This may be old news but I've never seen anything on it. While working on my windshield washers I decided to vacuum out the area beneath the cowling between the hood and windshield. I'm still removing leaves. I used the vac and thought I had all of them but then I blew air in there on both sides and you should have seen the leaves that came out of there. I mean a LOT of leaves. Its a rust job waiting to happen. I live in an oak forrest and the small leaves just filled the corners of the cowl area. I'm going to make a screen for the cowl area. Just a word to the wise, better check this area out to prevent some rust damage.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
lowriden58

Re: Hot Spot For RUST!!

yeah that area is famous for rot LMC has the cowl vent screens for under 50bucks in stainless. also check site vendors

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Best way I've found out to clean debris from there is first to vacuum like you did, then remove the kickpanel vents and reach in (if you're brave) and/or shove the vacuum hose inside and remove the remainder.

Make sure it's completely clean and then install a leaf shield of some sort on the cowl area. If you do a search you will find various ideas.

Here's mine. Bought at Lowes and workds great cause it's soft plastic, pliable, easily cut with scissors and cheap.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
68gmsee

Forgot to mention. I also have mostly oaks around here. Some say that they need smaller size screening because they have pine needles.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

This is great advise!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
BarryB

Good cheap idea. So what did you do/use to adhere it to the cowl panel itself?? screw it, glue it, or tattoo it.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I got the one's from LMC. They work great, one less thing to worry about.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
gator2511

Talking Re: Hot Spot For RUST!!

I bought the stainless steel one from LMC before I saw 68gmsee's post. Good idea. I sealed my kick panels vents up a while back but I'm gonna open them up and clean them out. I think I'm gonna seal off the passageway from the cowl to the kick panels. Its too hot down here to use them anyway. Maybe I can make a dam out of styrofoam and laminate it with wood for strength. Lotsa paint and then wedge it in the cowl ends and caulk it. Have to leave a small drain hole though. That should keep leaves from going down in there and rotting. Think it would work?
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Good cheap idea. So what did you do/use to adhere it to the cowl panel itself?? screw it, glue it, or tattoo it.
Remember this stuff is used on gutters so it's stiff enough that it will just lay on the top and flexible enough to follow the contours. I cut out it so it goes under the cowl and retained by the screws. I used a small pair of diags to clip the opening for the wiper arms etc...

I think I paid less then $10 for it. I had enough for both trucks and had some left over.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

A good hardware store will also have 72" wide black fiberglass screen door material. The holes are tiny and keep the pine needles out, while only letting water through. You only need about 6" and I just epoxied it on, in several spots around the edge. That's what I'm using in mine and it's uber cheap!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
prg machine

I used some construction clothe ( I think that's what it's called) and it has 3/16 squares or so and is galvanized. I think I like the black plastic better used for the rain gutters but it has bigger holes.
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
prg machine

definitely do something for sure...................my K-20 was full in the vent areas and rotted out ..................I patched em up and cut some bigger drain holes in the bottom hoping to be able to wash down some of the small stuff that gets down there. As easy as it is to pull the vents, I think once a year would be a good idea to get in the vent holes and clean out no matter what ya do.
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
Luvlegs

I used aluminum screen... as you can see, the leaf headed for the next gap... geesch!
Attached Images

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Best way I've found out to clean debris from there is first to vacuum like you did, then remove the kickpanel vents and reach in (if you're brave) and/or shove the vacuum hose inside and remove the remainder.

Make sure it's completely clean and then install a leaf shield of some sort on the cowl area. If you do a search you will find various ideas.

Here's mine. Bought at Lowes and workds great cause it's soft plastic, pliable, easily cut with scissors and cheap.

What a great idea.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
MikeyMan

I will add to this three year old thread.
With fall right around the corner, I'd like to share my plan.
Here is what I did to keep the pesky leaves and helicopters out of the cowel vent:
Got those magnetic sheets used to block off vent grilles/registers from the home improvement store. Cut them into strips, notch around w.wiper stubs, and lay them across the cowel vent openings. Being magnetic, they will stay in place when my truck is parked. This works fine in my case.
However, I would NOT recommend this if you have nice paint.
Magnetic sheets may trap moisture, and could lead to other issues if left in place and outdoors for a long period of time.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
mpotts64

same issue with leaves, etc. instead of putting a screen on mine, I opened the doors and took a 12" metal blade on a sawzall and cut the whole bottom out of the box so now it is wide open, leaves, water, whatever, it falls right on through, I have the vent doors still in place to keep the critters out, I am starting on a cab where I am totally cutting those out, side vents and all, and welding a flat piece in ints place so there will be no side vents, boxes, or anything, just smooth

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote