The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Nukes16

Front springs & Steering Issues

Hey guys, once again I'm trying to get to the root of my steering problems. I am having the same issues as before and it seems that nothing I do makes any difference. It still won't return to center after I turn, and it is stiff under load. I have replaced the steering column, the pitman arm, the idler arm, the ball joints (twice now), I have checked the spindles for tightness... again, but still no changes in my steering. I have had it aligned twice and it is on spec. The only thing that I am wondering is if the springs are too soft. I have noticed that it has an excess of travel when I jack it up, it really sags low. I put in 2.5" dropped spindles and 2" dropped coils but I'm not sure about the history of the coils.
Is it possible that the coils are too soft and allowing the truck to sag too much and therefor it is causing my spindles to "bind" on the ball joints making my steering jerky?
This is all that I can think of at this point, looks like I'll be taking it apart again this weekend?
Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: Front springs & Steering Issues

I have to help my wheel return to center after I added power steering. To me that means there isnt enough caster in the front end alighnment for my taste.
I dont think your front end is drooping so much your ball joints are binding...you would hit the bumpstops before any binding.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Nukes16

Thanks, I thought the same thing, but I've swapped everything, and it still sucks! I can't think of anything else??
Anyone else had these symptoms?
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukes16 View Post
Thanks, I thought the same thing, but I've swapped everything, and it still sucks! I can't think of anything else??
Anyone else had these symptoms?
When I worked in a shop the I watched the mechanic do alignments and I noticed he only checked the difference in the caster from the left and right side to give the left side 1 deg more just to keep the vehicle from pulling. Maybe your mech needs to give both sides more caster.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
jdheff1982

I have a similar issue with my truck. I don't think it has the drop spindles, but it does have lowering springs. There are times when I make a turn, I cannot turn the steering all the way in that direction. It stops / binds for a couple seconds then it'll continue.

When I had the truck in the shop last, the mechanic said all the steering components needed replacing as there is free-play now. Not sure if that is related to my binding.

Also, if your RPMS are too low, it will affect your PS pump causing it to momentarily lose power. My truck does this a lot with the way the engine is setup.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
INSIDIOUS '86

my friend and i encountered a prob like this trying to tune out slop in our steering boxes, on the top of the steering box there is a bolt with a nut that adjusts the balls lash in your steering box (balls haha) but if its adjusted to tight it can cause steering to get sticky
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote