The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Portmod7

67-72 Frame height & track-width with 4.5/6 drop, 20's, and 40 A.R. Tires

Ok guys, I think I've finally settled on 20's and a 4.5/6 drop. I was wondering if I could get some ride height measurements? I blew my truck apart without measuring first, not to mention it's got heavy springs in front that would have thrown me off anyway.

On these 4.5/6 trucks with 20's and ???/40/20 tires (2500HD, 72BlckButy, and Cole Trickle from the "static drop" sticky | http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471442 | as examples), is there any way you can get me a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the front crossmember, bottom of the front frame rails, or any other helpful place that is common to all these trucks? Also, from the ground to the bottom of the rear frame rails? Any place there is a definitive point for me to locate it front to back, and side to side would help me a TON.

I'm trying to go my own way to a point on both the rear and front suspension, and I need somewhere to start as far as ride height of the frame.

Also, can you get by without a C-notch in the rear at this height? From what I've been able to find on this forum, it sounds like you can. I just wanted to double check.

It seems that most people running 20's on the front have a 8.5" wide wheel, 255/40/20 tires, with 5.25 BS. That is good information to have, but it's sometimes hard to determine if anything has been done to alter track-width. Some spindles narrow it, some a-arms narrow it, etc. What is the MAX width you can get away with, outside of wheel to outside of wheel, in the front of these trucks on a 4.5" drop? I don't want to go any narrower than I HAVE to, wider is better for both looks and performance IMO.

One more... What's the MAX track-width you can get away with in the rear, with a 6" drop, 20x10's, 295/40/20's, and a stepside bed? I plan to use a watt's-link to locate the rear, so I shouldn't have any side-to-side movement with suspension travel, body roll is about it.

I have tried the search option, and I find bits and pieces of information everywhere, but I haven't been able to find specific answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance for the help! LOVE this forum!
Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: 67-72 Frame height and track-width with 4.5/6 drop, 20's, and 40 A.R. Tires

Your post says you're looking for "specific" answers. In all honesty, your questions require you to measure the crap out of your ride for them to be "specific". You've done your research, so you see what's common amonst most trucks and that's about the best that can be done.

That being said, I still wouldn't worry about ride height measurements. With a 4.5/6 drop and 20's, your frame should be fine from any bumps given you have decent shocks. Long tube headers might rub though.

With the fronts, 8.5's are a good width. I've seen 10's in the front, but not with stock inners.

On the rear, you said track width, but I'm guessing you meant tread. I have 295's in the rear, and I think you can fit 315's in stock tub, but this is where you're going to need the "perfect" BS on your set up to prevent rubbing. A watts link will have some side to side movement as well, but it's VERY limited compared to a panard bar.

Sorry I'm not giving you the answers you're looking for, but if you are really trying to give it the MAX, you'll need to measure a precise fit. If not, go with the common and hope for the best!

PS, post some pics of the truck.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Portmod7

Thanks for reading my post, and responding! I appreciate it! I usually end up writing novels, but I feel like my best chance is to explain my situation with as much detail as possible, to allow you guys to help me.

I'm not worried about frame height as far as bumps and such, that's one of the reasons I've already chosen to go with the 4.5/6, it seems conservative, yet still has a great look. What I'm worried about is the method for lowering the front. I want to make sure my lower control arms are level, or sloped uphill toward the tires at ride height (for handling purposes). I also want to have max possible clearance, which means I'm shying away from dropped spindles. That being said, I'm not sure if I can get there with just coils, if I need to pancake the crossmember, etc. So I was hoping to get a good measurement of frame height, and work backwards from that to determine my frame mounting point for the control arm. My primary concern is the geometry of my control arms. I'll work however hard I need to in order to make that happen. This is also why I was hoping to get a track width to work around when I set everything up.

I did mean track width in the rear. That question is fairly straight forward, and an easy measure for me, I just thought I'd see what the common consensus was, in case I overlook some aspect as I build.

Thanks again for your help! I'll get some pics up, all I have so far are the "before" pics and some of the rust repair I've done.

Last edited by Portmod7; 09-14-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed the quote of TubbedII's post.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Portmod7

Here's what I'm workin with! I don't plan on doing any paint or body work. Just a solid drivetrain and suspension that will make it fun to drive!
Attached Images