The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #26
Karnage

Re: '74 K10 Needs A Gun Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumran View Post
On Planet Earth the bears eat salmon. In your story, were John and Bob having salmon for lunch?
In California, the bears eat anything that smells like food. I've had plenty in my garbage outside of my cabin as well as a few taking food from our camp sites. Don't get me wrong, we almost always catch, prepare and eat salmon up here but that is not always the case. The bears just want to eat and they are getting use to other food since stealing from garbage is getting more and more common.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Altec
Getcha Pull

I would make rack to hold the weapon In the same fashion that It is sitting on your seat. We made something like this for a golf kart. Works great. A 3/16" 8"x8" steel plate bolted to the floor, 1" square tube going up, and a rifle clamp snagged from a gun rack found at Bass Pro. Works great.

You could probably lean it so the butt stock is toward the seat, and muzzle is facing the rear view mirror. That way a third passenger can straddle the rack. Still more comfortable then riding in the middle of a stick truck...

One more option is try to move the seats slightly further apart, and make a rack the holds the Shotgun between the seats. Where your gloves are pictured.
'96 Integra
Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Sell the shotgun and snag a 44-mag.
Even with slugs, your effective range with a 12ga isn't very far, plus it's cumbersome as hell.
Better have some armed buddies as well...if you stumble across an "agriculture plot" while you're trekking through the mountains, you might have more than a bear to defend yourself against
I've had my shotgun for years and it's by far my favorite gun I've ever owned. I have it for hunting purposes as well as shooting skeet and straight up preference. There is nothing better than shooting a 12 gauge in my opinion. I feel comfortable shooting long guns, not really into hand guns at all. Also, you would be surprised how far a 3 1/2in slug can travel.

About a few hundred feet. I'm not taking my shotgun up into private lands to defend myself from bears. I'm taking it up to hunt and do course runs with targets. But if I'm taking it up, I might as well give it the option of defense if it is ever needed. It's going to be with me no matter what, I might as well spend a hundred or so bucks on a rack and give it the option of a speedy retrieval.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
I would make rack to hold the weapon In the same fashion that It is sitting on your seat. We made something like this for a golf kart. Works great. A 3/16" 8"x8" steel plate bolted to the floor, 1" square tube going up, and a rifle clamp snagged from a gun rack found at Bass Pro. Works great.

You could probably lean it so the butt stock is toward the seat, and muzzle is facing the rear view mirror. That way a third passenger can straddle the rack. Still more comfortable then riding in the middle of a stick truck...

One more option is try to move the seats slightly further apart, and make a rack the holds the Shotgun between the seats. Where your gloves are pictured.
I'm not too good at making things from random scrap. Also, it's has part time 4wd so there is a stick... No one likes riding middle. Between the seats would be nice and in all honestly there is enough space between them for the shotgun to be between. I just need something to lock it in, otherwise it just slides around. That's not so bad since I never have my shotgun loaded in my truck, but I'd rather it not hit the back of the cab, scratching the paint and possibly damaging the weapon itself.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #30
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
I'm not too good at making things from random scrap. Also, it's has part time 4wd so there is a stick... No one likes riding middle. Between the seats would be nice and in all honestly there is enough space between them for the shotgun to be between. I just need something to lock it in, otherwise it just slides around. That's not so bad since I never have my shotgun loaded in my truck, but I'd rather it not hit the back of the cab, scratching the paint and possibly damaging the weapon itself.
But, it's just a little stick! I remember being a little kid, and getting bruised knees riding with Dad in his roll back. Good times...

No friends with a grinder, and a welder? The bracket I'm talking about could be made in a couple hours. Take longer to chill the beer...

I found a picture of the Golf Kart rack. Granted, the clamps we used would barely hold the Carbine, and 10-22 we used for mock up. Holds large bore muzzle loaders, and Shotguns much better...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/100_3722.jpg

If there is enough room between the seats already, then that is where I'd want to make a rack. It'd be perfect, and look cool.
'96 Integra
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #31
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

As far as im aware its not illegal in ca to drive around with a gun in a gun rack i have one in my back window i put it so that it still elts me use the back window with the guns out it has a cable lock and all ive carried my mini 14 and my mosin nagant and my 12 gauge on it several time thur my town of ramona and thru the city of sandiego its self not a problem never hassled i thing that most cops will appreciate knowing that there is wepons in the car and plus its an old truck mostly the person driving is not going to be doing drive bys or anything of that nature a rack is really nice when driving to the range or the hunt grounds specially with a single cab truck keeps room behind the seats for the rest of the wepons that wont fit in the rack or in the bed
Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #32
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
But, it's just a little stick! I remember being a little kid, and getting bruised knees riding with Dad in his roll back. Good times...

No friends with a grinder, and a welder? The bracket I'm talking about could be made in a couple hours. Take longer to chill the beer...

I found a picture of the Golf Kart rack. Granted, the clamps we used would barely hold the Carbine, and 10-22 we used for mock up. Holds large bore muzzle loaders, and Shotguns much better...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/100_3722.jpg

If there is enough room between the seats already, then that is where I'd want to make a rack. It'd be perfect, and look cool.
I've got a dad with 50 or so years of car working experience. From what I know, he was working on cars since his early teens. He was also an electrician for 10(?) years or so... So he knows how to wire things up good. He has all the tools I'd ever need to build that rig let alone an entire vehicle. There's only one problem... We have not talked to each other much for a few years. Got in a little fight a few years back.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #33
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris's66lwb View Post
As far as im aware its not illegal in ca to drive around with a gun in a gun rack i have one in my back window i put it so that it still elts me use the back window with the guns out it has a cable lock and all ive carried my mini 14 and my mosin nagant and my 12 gauge on it several time thur my town of ramona and thru the city of sandiego its self not a problem never hassled i thing that most cops will appreciate knowing that there is wepons in the car and plus its an old truck mostly the person driving is not going to be doing drive bys or anything of that nature a rack is really nice when driving to the range or the hunt grounds specially with a single cab truck keeps room behind the seats for the rest of the wepons that wont fit in the rack or in the bed
Yeah, I'm not really sure where this guy is getting his info about long guns since he kept linking me to stuff about hand guns. Also, to answer your question on my visitor messages, I currently live in Central California to the east near the mountains. I've also lived up North Cali. The places I go to are normally located in the far East, again, where the mountains and wild zones are. I live in the Country and no one is going to freak out if I drive around with a shotgun on a rack, but I'm not planning to.

I'd be keeping it in a padded case until I get where I'm going just to keep it clear from dust or moving around on the rack. I try my best to keep this shotgun in the best condition possible. My truck can get as dirty as it can get but once my shotgun is messy, I freak out. I always have a kit with me to do a complete field strip and clean everything out when I want to. Always clear her out with a bore snake after every shooting session and regularly perform maintenance even when I've not used the damn thing for awhile.

I just tend to be that way. I'm the same way with my knives. My shotgun is always ready to perform in top condition like my knives are always razor sharp.

I guess after being around firearms for most of my life and owning them for more than half of said life, I have a deep respect for firearms and want to take care of them like they take care of me.

Last edited by Karnage; 09-16-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #34
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Reread my posts and the legislature. Plus I hope you have bear tags because each one you shoot will land you in some serious fines and jail time if you don't. Your little scenario will still get you in hot water. I think you just dont understand the concept of what I am saying. As per CA law a weapon has to be transported in a locked container. Now if you are stopped and are on private property then you can have it in a rack. However, as soon as you hit a public road, highway or public land it must be locked away and unloaded. Their are certain allowances to this as some BLM land you can carry and shoot on. Most don't allow it though. Like I said unless you are driving the whole route on known private property to your hunting ground or whatever it has got to be locked up somehow. Law enforcement is a different set of rules entirely and ours has locks on it as well. But again its all about the officers discretion. the law is written as i linked to. As far as firearms experience don't even go there. Uncle Sam gave me mine as did RCSO. If you don't want to follow it fine. Just don't come to So. Cal. I would hate to see you go through a felony stop for being ignorant of the law. But whatever do what you want.

Here are some cases where the bear was their yard and they still faced prosecution. These guys may have had legitimate reasons to fire at a bear but still they face prosecution. Which is expensive to defend, get an acquittal from or get your property back. So your telling me you are going to use 'self-defense' as an alibi because you wanted to play around in a bears home and you don't think you are going to get charged? Especially in tree hugging CA no less? Sounds like you thought this out.
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...129498,00.html
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/...bear-protecti/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_936369.html

Last edited by scottsdaleowner75; 09-16-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #35
VegasBruce

That is why I moved out of the Granola State.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
Karnage

You actually think I'm going to report that I shot a bear if that ever happened. You're fkn funny. I'm done talking to you. You're just a moron.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #37
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
You actually think I'm going to report that I shot a bear if that ever happened. You're fkn funny. I'm done talking to you. You're just a moron.
Poaching nice...You are exactly what I thought you are completely ignorant. You may be the stupidest MF'er wannabe mall ninja on these forums. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #38
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
Poaching nice...You are exactly what I thought you are completely ignorant. You may be the stupidest MF'er wannabe mall ninja on these forums. Good luck.
You're the assfk who thinks there are cops out in the wild every few 10 feet in said wild and think that killing a bear when it is about to kill you is illegal. You are the stupidest MF'er wannabe know it all on the internet.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #39
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Thanks. Have a nice day!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #40
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
Thanks. Have a nice day!
No, thank you for starting trouble, going off topic, trying to bull**** your information like you only knew stuff from google and continuing to contribute nothing to this thread.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #41
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

How is posting the written law as it is in your state to try to show you that you are playing with fire off topic? You just don't like it when someone shows you FACTS that you don't like. Thats fine. It will be amusing to me knowing that is is a matter of time before you get stopped/arrested for your ignorance and I hope you remember this thread when you are face down in the terra firma and being subject to a felony stop because you think you know the law. But continue hey your Rambo right with your 15 years of firearms experience you'll probably shoot your way out right like a bad John Woo movie and they will never catch you. Because you are so much smarter than everyone.

Cops plus is where my department shops from and they have what you need. Good luck using it.
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum12064.php
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5894.php
http://www.fleetsafety.com/Big-Sky-R...-Gun-Rack-1444
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #42
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

Children
Closed Thread