The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

On A-body header usage.....

So I've been digging and searching header options for my pickup. Since I have a running 350 Chevy engine I can use, I think I will be putting that into my pickup over the winter. I've seen all of the direct fit options, and have a few numbers stashed in case my current thought doesn't work out. My truck is currently at about a 4.5/5 drop, and set to go down another 2 to 2.5 inches while doing this engine swap. I know pretty much all long tube headers built for these trucks will hang below the frame, and I am looking at some clearance issues (especially since the roads around here really suck, and drive way entrances are pretty steep). I've seen a few different times that A-body headers are recommended for a shorter drop, and I am just curious if anyone knows if I will have interferance issues with my clutch linkage since I am keeping the 4 speed for now? Or should I just get a set of shorties or mid-length, and have my local exhaust shop bend me some pipe to merge the shorty to my header back exhaust? Block huggers and stock manifolds are out of the question completely. Thanks.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
kieth

Re: On A-body header usage.....

I do not have a manual tranny (700r4) but I tried mid headers for a chevy pickup then changed my mind, took them back and got a set of mid length headers for a 67-69 camaro, I did have to notch my frame slightly on the passenger side but they ended up fitting nicely and do not hang down low at all. Kieth

Passenger side:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...180_i87xg-A-LB

drivers side:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...006_FG6se-A-LB

rear view:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...536_X5Lck-A-LB

clearance under frame:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...970_g7MqS-A-LB
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With the original clutch linkage, I don't think you will be able to use a passenger car header. I believe there will also be interference with the bellhousing crossmember. I have read that Hooker #2466 is a short or mid length header that works in these trucks. But I don't know about the clutch linkage issue. You might have to go with a typical block hugger header and just have some exhaust tube bent.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

You know what? I can't believe I didn't think of it, but the engine I am thinking about using for now is the 350 that's currently in my Camaro. Once that engine is out, that will leave me a set of headers I can play with. I'll try to find this thread again once I get a little experience with the headers, and let everyone (who is interested anyway) know how it turns out. Worst case scenario I end up buying a set of Headman long tubes I've heard work well with decent ground clearance....
Posted via Mobile Device
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
66GTO66C10

Long headders will be too long and hang down below the frame, believe me I started my build with them. Mid-length headders for a late 60s camero or late 60s chevelle (what I went with) work great with no frame issues. I did have to cut 1/4" off the lip of the drivers motor mount perch, but that was all.

Good luck!
1989 Toyota Pickup (Tonka) resto
2002 HD FLSTC
2000 HD FLSTC
1996 Ninja ZX11

Believe nothing of what you hear, and 1/2 of what you see!
66GTO66C10 is offline   Reply With Quote