The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
race2c
<--Thanks 86 Red Bowtie

Air Bag Suspension Info. Wanted

Hello all, I just found the site off yahoo while I was looking for info on 67-72 C10/20/30 and the like...

What I am wanting to know is any info on air bag suspensions you guys/gals have used on you trucks. Any info/links is appreciated.
race2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

what do ya want to know? Lots of guys here familiar with air bag set ups ... just ask away.

Welcome to the board!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
race2c
<--Thanks 86 Red Bowtie

Thanks for the reply and welcome Shane.

What I am wanting to know is what air bags are most people using and are they avaliable in a kit or do it yourself type thing? To where I can do the air bags with my uncle in his garage instead of having someone do it for me. Also, what are some major things I should look for in an airbag kit that is just right for me local cruiser, and daily driver type of truck? What are some major names in air bags besides firestone to look for and buy someday.

Sorry, for all the questions but I need to get started on this truck soon since it will be my daily driver.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:06 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

Ok, here goes.
Most "do it yourself" folks use Firestone bags ...
-2600 lb. rating for fronts
-2400 lb. rating for rears

They are available in kit form, but most of the guys here are do-it-yourselfers who peice everything together themselves to help save some money. Here's a couple i found on Ebay ->click here.
If you shop around, you should be able to buy all four bags for $200-$250 bucks.
You will then need valves -> Click Here. This auction is for 4 Parker valves. Again, shop around ... I bought 4 SMC brand valves for around $130 last fall - 3/8" port. You can set up your system with only 4 valves, but most folks use 8. That way you can control each corner individually, as opposed to just front and back. Valves come in various port sizes, don't buy anything less than 3/8" port ... the bigger the port, the faster the lift and the drop. But, also the bigger the valve the more volume of air you are required to use.
Next is compressor and tank ->Click Here and here. Some folks fun 2 compressors and 2 tanks ... depends on how much air you need and how often you need.
You will then need brackets for the front. Check with Nsane68 (a member on this board) for front brackets. I think his are somewhere around $100-$125 for a complete set of fronts.
You won't need any for the rear, just bolt bag up where rear coil is usually mounted. Although you will have to drill your holes for the fittings and mounting bolts ... other than that, it is a straight "bolt on."
Next is fittings and tubing. You can buy the fittings locally at most any BIG truck (diesel/semi truck) supply hous or INDUSTRIAL supply house. When I say industrial I don't mean Home Depot or Tractor Supply. Ask for something called PrestoLok ... made by Parker ... or equivalent. Tubing ... buy at local BIG truck supply house ... ask for AIR BRAKE tubing. Here some 1/2" line I found on Ebay ... Click Here .
Last, but not least. Gages and switches ... again, shop around ... many different options here ... and all kinds of prices too.

Go to Ebay and do a search on "Air Ride Suspension" or "Air Bag Suspension."

Do some research ... ask some questions ... no need to buy a kit, you can do it yourself and save some cash.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Shane; 08-14-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM   #5
smokekiki
Mike

Welcome to the board race2c.w In what part of the world are you located? Thanks for the good info Shane.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Ackattack

I have a question along the same lines. I would like to use air bags on my rear more like an auxilary spring. Right now I have leaf springs with a few leafs removed to lower my truck, but if I need to haul something (motorcycle, fridge, whatever) I nearly bottom out, so I was thinking that air bags would help this. Do they have a kit for something like this with air fittings like on a tire (so I can just use a regular air hose to air them up (no need for onboard compressor for ocassional use).
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
race2c
<--Thanks 86 Red Bowtie

Shane--Thanks for the info and links. I will appreciate them greatly. I have talked to fastbagged68 and he has hooked me up with some info and is looking at dealers for a Do it yourself kit for me.

smokekiki--Also, thanks for the welcome. I am located in central IL about 2 hrs 30 mins from chicago and 2 hrs from st. louis.