The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
86GMCRookie

Steering column swap

Wanting to swap my original steering column over to a column auto shifter steering column, Want to know if this is easily done?? bolt on bolt off?
Got an 86 truck floor shift manual.
86GMCRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Steering column swap

as long as you have the right parts its easy im trying to change an loder truck to tilt and its a PAIN!!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
86GMCRookie

Thanks
86GMCRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the best other advice i can give you is to get the whole column because they have shaft and spline lower halfs and if you dont have a matching lower half the column isnt going to work..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
jdheff1982

I am curious if the LMC billet steering column will work in my 85? The catalogue shows it is meant for 73 to 78. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
qksilver

having done this a couple of times in the same truck,in the last 2 weeks. some advice, make sure your front tires are straight ahead, so that when you line everything up the steering wheel will be straight, replace the rubber? part of the rag joint at the coupling at the steering box, Summit has a borgenson piece"high end" for I think 9 bucks, much better than the dorman part. Locktite the various nuts bolts if they aren't self locking. Separate the lower shaft from the upper column, hook up the various wiring connections, ignition switch, neutral switch etc then insert the upper column part way thru the fire then install the lower column, run the bolts in a bit both at the rag joint and the pot joint. After you have everything hook up loose then tighten everything at the steering column, dash part and the firewall strap..........then go over everything again, to double check! It is your steering system so be safe.

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote