The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
chrohm

Ignition Key Lock

1986 C10 Silverado

Weird thing happened today, parked on an incline - when I came back out truck and key move fine and key turned fine...

however my windows wouldn't roll down, and my compressor to my tank for my bags blew a fuse, replaced the fuse...compressor came back on...no biggy I'll work on it later...pull into the gas station and the tumbler won't turn off...

Once I get home I spray a little wd-40 in and push the tumbler in towards the column and give a little force and it finally turns off.

Went to turn it back on, and the key seems to turn all the way - radio power comes on, parking brake light lights up, but no click, starter sound..nothing.

Any ideas? I've tried tilting the column up and down and no luck.

Any help is GREATLY appreciate...thanks

Last edited by chrohm; 09-17-2011 at 08:12 PM.
chrohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Re: Ignition Key Lock

you might have to ajust the electrical starting switch on the colum under the dash, looks lik this link. i think i used a 1/4 in drive ratchet with a 5/16 socket. you see that the switch has slots and thats where you get the fine tune for the switch. loosen, ajust,try till it works right. worst case the switch is screwed http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2395860
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i dont think the incline has anything to do with it i think the above part has lived its life and its time to replace.... when you say the windows wouldnt roll down im assuming you have power windows or thats an entirely different problem

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
chrohm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i dont think the incline has anything to do with it i think the above part has lived its life and its time to replace.... when you say the windows wouldnt roll down im assuming you have power windows or thats an entirely different problem
yeah I have power windows, I just find it odd that my power windows quit working for the drive home, compressor fuse blew (air suspension), and the key lock all happened. I guess just a coincidence.

Is there a fuse/fuesable link to the ignition that could be bad? I'm going to tear into it today...took the steering wheel off yesterday but nothing under the column under the dash
Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
chrohm

ok, replaced the cylinder...started right up...

I was stupid though and pushed in this metal pin which won't come all the way back out now...it'll back out a bit when turnign the key all the way backwards, but I think it's supposed to come out further and I think that's whats clicking

it's making a clicking noise now when I turn the key like it's binding on something...I can't get fingers on it or anything to pull it out, any ideas?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #6

thats the lock pin for the steering wheel to lock when the key is at the lock pos. this pin should be sticking out about a 1/4 of an inch and drop back in when the key is moved to the off/ on/ start pos. you could shoot som wd-40 in around it to get it to free up. or there is a bent or binding in the colum below this.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Wd 40!? Try grease. Will actually work and not make a mess yes that pin is meant to come up when key is off and go in when key is on. Its what keeps the wheel locked. We call them tow disasters here n my town. Ppl forget to turn the key to on when bein towed out of ditches and end up havn a wild ride. Do not install locking plate if u wanna remove it. Mine makes noise when turning wheel... It happens. And lemme say it again. GREASE !!!!! SAVE THE WD40 FOR THE RUSTY BOLTS
Posted via Mobile Device
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
chrohm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n View Post
Wd 40!? Try grease. Will actually work and not make a mess yes that pin is meant to come up when key is off and go in when key is on. Its what keeps the wheel locked. We call them tow disasters here n my town. Ppl forget to turn the key to on when bein towed out of ditches and end up havn a wild ride. Do not install locking plate if u wanna remove it. Mine makes noise when turning wheel... It happens. And lemme say it again. GREASE !!!!! SAVE THE WD40 FOR THE RUSTY BOLTS
Posted via Mobile Device
yep, lived and learned...cleaned all the wd40 out when I replaced the cylinder...I made a mess