The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Lance-ftw

How complete is 'complete'?

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1969-1972.html

Is that actually 'complete' would it give me all the wiring I need to redo my entire truck?

I've got HEI and an MSD ignition, also AC and I'm installing power windows. I 'think' this covers it all but I'm not entirely sure, anyone used this by chance or able to decern better than I if this is a complete kit with connectors, etc that I need to rewire the whole truck?

My cab is full of electrical tape, there are bare wires and random wires just exposed in my engine compartment, my trailer hook up lights dont work half the time, etc, I figure I might as well gut and rewire the entire thing.

If I don't do this I'm gonna be going 1 wire at a time and just buying the connectors as I go.

Currently everything except the AC works in the truck, the AC works for about 20 seconds then blows a fuse, I assume based on the condition of other wires that I'm shorting out somewhere int he AC circuit and that's what's blowing the fuse. Given all this, I'm going to redo the whole thing but I don't anticipate any bad 'components' just aged wire.

Thank you in advance for any input, insight, or advice!

Oh, btw, it's a 1970 Chevy CST10
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: How complete is 'complete'?

Most wiring companies will sell you a harness based on what you need/have.Give them a call and they will let you know if they can/will tailor make a harness to work with your options.You may also want to spec a couple of extra circuits for future ad ons.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I say Call M&H wire harness a call they make all the factory repop harness for these trucks and if you tell them what your wanting they will do it for ya

Now my 1 ? for you is are you changing your truck to fuel injected and you going to put power intanna are you going to put a power back window in are you going to put power front Clip to open with a button.If you are going to extreme them harness will work.

But if your going to leave most of the truck stock Use the factory repop wire harness from M&H remember your Not a wire man are you going to sodder ever connection and put heat shrink on all the cut and fused wires.Most don't.Any wire that you don't have to cut mean longer life.

M&H has the new fuse harness that uses the latest fuse technology they have a mutuality fuse harness with the new small fuses Now you will spend more money.But its a Plug and play system meaning No cutting No splicing NO FIRES.

I'm not a wire man I put a full on new harness in my 1965 3/4 ton truck reason.I had a fire in my wire harness under the dash when i was on the freeway at 70 MPH it scared the **** out of me.

Lesson to learn here if it ever happens to you turn off the KEY even going at 70 MPH it stops the fire.

after that i had it towed home this is back in 1995 i payed for a repop harness from the headlights to the tail lights cost me 600.00.

this truck has not given me one problem from my wire harness.I put 3 other harness in my 1968 3 door suburban and my 1971 and 72 chevy trucks now they costed me over 900.00 But well worth it when i don't have to cut or fuse one wire to gather they come with the factory plug connectors Now for your power windows you will have to run your own rires throw the door and hook them up to the new fuse panel

M&H makes there harness to work with the HEI Not sure on the MSD but all you can do is call them and they can help you out.

If you ever sell your truck not saying you will but if you do and some one is willing to pay your price and they know about these trucks and there harness and the color coding on them and you have a Idid it system in it and its not done right you wont get a good price.

I always say even tho its your truck and its your way but one day down that road you might grow tired of your truck and you really should give it the best resale you can.Keeping it factory or making it look factory is the way to go Now I'm not bashing

But its like having a 1000 HP engine under the hood and you drive it like a daliy driver it will only last 3-4 years do to the engine walls where out Now a 290 HP engine has long jevity witch mean it last 10-40 years depends on how you take care of it

there is no basing in what i'm saying i just want you to get the best life out of your truck with less problems that's all these are all the car's and trucks that I've kept stock and there starting to be look at as a good investment not like 10 to 15 years ago when ever one had one
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Zeke's Garage

To answer your actual question, yes this does look to be a complete replacement harness with some upgrades for things like HEI and other circuits for updated equipment.

I've only ever put in Painless harnesses, not because I think they are the best, it's just what the customer wanted (But they were really nice). I've heard great things about M&H, and think you should give them a call before ordering from Ecklers, but you do need to figure that adding any 'new' electric devices will require you to perhaps cut, and splice into the new harness, and you'll need to get some help or learn to do it properly yourself so that you maintain the integrity of your new and expensive electrical system.

Good luck with it though, I'm an odd one that LOVES the electrical work on old cars. The look of a freshly soldered and heat-shrunk connection is a thing of beauty!

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Lance-ftw

now I'm also lookin at this. http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html the 21 circuit.

It's a lot cheaper, looks like it doesn't come with hardly any actual connectors so I'll be cutting and splicing my existing connectors which isn't that big a deal I suppose.

I know how to solder, shrink wrap, splice, tie, etc. I've done a lot of electrical work in houses and small electrics like RC cars and various appliances, just never re-wired a vehicle. Any thoughts on the EZ 21circuit kit?

I actually got a quote of around 400 bucks from my mechanic to rewire the truck if I supply the harness which I'm thinking about taking him up on just to save myself the trouble :P
Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Lance-ftw

heh zeke, Just noticed you're from kennesaw, I grew up in Acworth/Paulding. I'm out in Texas now but that's still home for me

I ordered that EZ kit after talkin to em and my shop on the phone. I'm just gonna do it myself. I'm assuming I take my existing connectors and leave enough wire on em to strip back and solder the new wires to them. If one of my connectors is bad or the wire isn't salvageable at the connector are the usually 'special' or are they something I can find at an autozone or radioshack?