The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
jerrod213

Spindle/Tie Rod Question

Somewhat unique scenario... I want to get concurrence on my diagnosis/approach from some of the experts.

I've got a 1971 c10 which I'm replacing the calipers on. When I turn the wheels all the way to the right, there is some slop in the passenger side spindle/outer tie rod connection. With the wheels straight or turned all the way to the left, no slop.

Other info:
  • Passenger side spindle recently replaced with a junkyard part (I didn't pull... not entirely sure of origin)
  • 5 lug rotors, 1.25" deep
  • No slop on the drivers side
  • Outer tie rod boot is different than I'm used to, my previous experience is with the rubber kind integral to the part (had a 94 Ranger in a past life). Looks like there is a lot of grease in and around the connection (boot may be split and failed).
  • Tie rod appears to be sound still (doesn't flop around).
  • New brake rotors, pads, and wheel bearings recently installed.

The castle nut was just barely tight. I could tighten the nut a 0.5-1 turns and it took out the slop. When I tighten the nut like this, the cotter pin no longer interferes with the castle nut. I used a wrench, but didn't torque it very hard at all.

Initially I was worried that the guys I had fix my truck used the wrong spindle. However, if I'm correct in my interpretation of other postings the control arm wouldn't fit on properly if they had tried to use a 73-87 spindle?

Therefore, I thought this must be a tie rod problem. The boot has probably worn and axial clearance increased. Since the tie rod still functions properly and I have new brake rotors, pads, and wheel bearings, I'd rather not go in and do a complete front end rebuild at this point. I thought I'd put a washer in to take out the slop and get on with my life (making sure tie rod is well lubed). This will allow the castle nut to be lightly tightened to take out the slop and also allow for proper castle nut/cotter pin fit-up.

Once other components wear out, I'll probably do a better build with new Moog joint components, new springs, shocks, etc...
jerrod213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Spindle/Tie Rod Question

Sounds like a spindle problem.
(since that's whatyou changed).

I wonder if you got a 73-87 spindle?
They have the same lower ball joint as your 71-72 style spindle.
But the upper ball joint is different,... and so is the outer tie rod.

Do you have any pics of these components?
(both LH and RH side)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
jerrod213

I'll try and take some pics tonight. I'll also mic the tie rod end to get a diameter.

You know what specs are for spindle hole size and/or tie rod diameter?

Any thoughts on throwing a washer on to line everything up, assuming that takes care of the play?
jerrod213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Slammed50

I'm not to sure on all of the specs and swapping of ball joints/spindles but I will say this, I feel that steering is a very important part of your truck and it seems like you have some decent mechanical abilities, don't try and cheap out and stick washers somewhere where they shouldnt be. Safety for your self and others on the road isn't worth not replacing a $20 part. Just my .02.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

It appears the tie rod is smaller, or the hole in the spindle is larger.
Since you changed the spindle,... I suspect it is incorrect,... or,... the original spindles on the truck are incorrect.

Still sounds like you have 73-87 spindle on the passenger side.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote