The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
jdheff1982

Torq Converter

Hey all,

I was up underneath my truck a few minutes ago pulling the starter and noticed one of the mounting points of the torq converter to the flywheel had a dangling bolt. I tightened it back up of course. Would something like this cause starting problems? How would I go about checking the other mounting bolts?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
hotrod_991

Re: Torq Converter

that alone should not cause any starting issues as the flywheel is anchored to the back of the crank there for it should not be able to walk enought to cause it not to bite the starter gear...now the one lose bolt says deff check the rest of them...what you need is a flywheel wrench. My parts stores never carry them so i usualy just hound dog the snap on or mac tool trucks around town. they will carry one. If that is not an option there is 3 other way to get to the other bolts that I know of they are as follows...

1...Get a strong flat tip screwdriver and from the drivers side with the inspection cover of place the tip of the screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel and use the bottom of your bell housing for leverage and turn it that way. Usually get 2 or 3 teeth at at a time. Becareful as the screwdriver like to slip off while prying on it!

2...you can bump the key so that soon as it starts to crank you release the key and then look under the truck to see were the fly wheel is at. Repeat until you the other bolts are reachable

3...This is my favorite actually. If you have long Pry bar use the flat tip and place it across the nusts the hold you fan onto the pulley. you dont have to pry real hard but when you do use the other hand to press on V-belt so that is grips the crank pulley.

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote