The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
customc20

Another C20 rear end question - New member

Hello everyone. I am new to this site (First post). The wealth of knowledge here is amazing. I recently inherited my 1972 C20 Custom Camper from my grandfather who passed away. My wish list for this truck is growing by the day. I think I'm going to start with the brakes/suspension and move from there. The truck is a 3/4 ton with coil rear suspension and an HO52 rear end with 4.10/4.11 gears. It has an unmodified 350 with a TH350 tranny. It has front discs and rear drums.

I have searched this site extensively for rear end conversions and I think I know which way I would like to go. I want to end up with a slightly built up 350 with a 700R4 tranny and a 3.73 POSI in the rear running around ~28-29" tires on ~20" rims. I'll do a 4/6 drop while modifying the suspension. I would like to switch to 5 lugs all around for the rim choice. I will not be towing anything with this truck. I will also switch to disc rears with the rear end coversion.

Since I have an HO52 rear end I know I'm already at the best gear I can get in that housing (4.11). I know there is/was talk of a 3.90 aftermarket gear available, however, I would like to have a POSI (not a locker) so this is pushing me to replacing it with something else. I have been eyeing the newer C10 axles from 73+ however, I can not locate one locally. Has anyone tried to put in a rear end from something from the 90's? I know I will have to weld the perch's and panhard/trac bar mount to the axle tube hosing, so this is not a consideration. I would be open to buying the rear end, then buying aftermarket POSI center section, however, I would rather buy it all together. Like I said, I'd like to end up with 5 lugs, so whether the new axle already has that setup, or a conversion axle needs used, I'd like to end up with this. I know the width of the newer rear ends are probably a little wider, so this is why I'm asking. Can some one point me in the right direction for a new rearend? Please be specific on models and years of your suggestions. I've read all the rear disc conversion setups (and associated aftermarket sites) so I think I'll be able to find something to fit.

Sorry to ramble on, however, I wanted to give as much information as possible so I can receive useful feedback. Again, I've searched hundreds of posts regarding this conversion, but can't quite identify exact years of newer rear ends to use.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
customc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Another C20 rear end question - New member

anyone able to help Mike out....BTW to the boards from NC

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
treveiger

Why the newer rear ends? Welcome to the forum!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
customc20

Thanks for the welcomes. I am having trouble locating an older rear end. (72-87) The newer styles (90's) are much more abundant. I'm not opposed to an older rear end, I just need help locating one. I'll post a request on the WTB section. Since I want a 3.73 posi, and the posi's seem to be more abundant in the newer rear ends.

Has anyone replaced they're rear end with an 88+ chevy rear end?

Or does anyone know/have one they'd like to sell?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

hey Mike....have you tried looking on your local craigslist...that'd be where I start looking...someone may be parting a 67-72 truck that has what you are looking for, but the 67-72 with posi are getting harder to find, but you could go with a PowerTrax type setup too....

Also, since you are new around here, just wanted to remind ya that you'll need to be a subscribing member to ask for WTB stuff....click here for more info or let me know if I can help you out....

Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
customc20

Thanks Geoff for the heads up on the subscribing member details. I'll do that right away.

I visited PowerTrax's website (Richmond Gear) and they don't list a solution for the HO52 rear end for a 72. Am I missing something, or can the 73-87 powertrax fit in? This could be a good solution rather than swapping the whole rearend.

Anyone have any experience putting one of these in an HO52?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Mercury694

I don't have answers, but I have a similar problem and am interested in what you find out. I've got a 68 c20, with 456(?)ish rear end. At 50 mph, I'm turning over 3k rpm in 4th gear (with no slipping at the clutch). I'd like to keep my 8 lug setup and go way up to a gear in the 3.3-3.6:1 range. I know that's a long jump, but even with 2 ton in the bed I don't need first gear and my commute is largely highway. I am also not against doing a little machining or welding in order to install it. I'm talking to a local differential guy, and he's looking into options but I thought I'd see if anyone here was dealing with similar issues or had an idea on how to progress. I am not against custom made, but my wallet is.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by customc20 View Post
Thanks Geoff for the heads up on the subscribing member details. I'll do that right away.

I visited PowerTrax's website (Richmond Gear) and they don't list a solution for the HO52 rear end for a 72. Am I missing something, or can the 73-87 powertrax fit in? This could be a good solution rather than swapping the whole rearend.

Anyone have any experience putting one of these in an HO52?
I'm not sure on the HO52...I was thinking 1/2 ton truck...sorry....hopefully someone can assist here

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Mercury694

After talking to a few people, many of the rear diffs from the newer Ford diesels have a 3.73 ratio. It would still likely be an 8 lug w/drum, which may work for me but not for you. I gotta figure out if the bolt pattern is the same, I think I can take a rim down to the boneyard and determine that and make sure the width works out. I'm also looking into half ton diffs, but I don't really want to go 5 or 6 lug. Maybe 3.73 and taller tires would be a better way to go.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
factorystock

It is strange that Chevy never offered a 3.73 ratio for 3/4 ton axles between 67 and 72. No need to "de truck" the vehicle (reducing its carrying ability).The easiest swap would be a Dana 60 8 lug with 3.54's straight out of a big block 68 thru 72 C20 or burb with coil set up.Get the panhard bar also.It does require some leg work to find though.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
customc20

Are the dana 60's posis or lockers? I really dont want a locker since I do street driving all the time. Are there aftermarket posi/limited slips carriers for the dana 60?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
Stricklinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by customc20 View Post
Are the dana 60's posis or lockers? I really dont want a locker since I do street driving all the time. Are there aftermarket posi/limited slips carriers for the dana 60?
Posted via Mobile Device
They make just about everything for a Dana 60; it's a very popular unit for 3/4 ton trucks and a popular swap for off road/rock crawling vehicles.
Posted via Mobile Device