The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Doesn't want to turn left

Hi guys:
This is a 2005 chevy D-max. In stand still, I can the steering wheel to right normally but I can not (I CAN NOT) turn it to the left!. If truck is moving I can turn it to left but not easy/smoothly. I flushed the P/S system. I jacked up the front and except for the tear in pitman arm rubber boot, I didn't see or feel any paly or slack. When the fron was in the air, I didn't have any problem to move the steering wheel to left or right. is it just the pitman arm has failed? Any ideas? Could it be the steering box or something else?
Moderator(s): I hope this is the right place to post this since it is front end section otherwise please move it to the place it suppose to be. Sorry in that case.
Thanks
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Doesn't want to turn left

Anyone?
I've never had this problem on my late model trucks.

Maybe ask in the 99-06 area.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

I'll do that. Thanks for suggestion.
Meanwhile this is what I have done again: I disconnected the steering stabilizer while truck was on the ground in hope that is the culprit, no luck. Still doesn't want to turn left. I lifted the front again and as soon as tires clear the ground, steering wheel is noraml? I don't see any binding, anything.
I guess if nobody has any ideas I have to start changing parts. My original plan was to change/upgrade the pitman/idler arms and put cognito braces on them. Now I am thinking to change the steering box since that could be the only/main cause. Is there anybody here has knowledge about the internal of steering gear boxes? How the internal work? Is there any left and right vlave or something which can fail seperately? Why is it haapen under the load only?
I know, long thread and too many questions. Any help would be appreciated.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
PRattenbury

Maybe the troubleshooting can be narrowed down a bit. Disconnect the pitman arm from the drag link and see if wheel turns to the left with truck on the ground running. If no, it must be the steering box. If it's okay hook the pitman back up. Disconnect the outer tie rod ends at the steering knuckles and try again. If it binds up it could be the pitman, drag link or idler. If still normal hook one tie rod end up at a time and see if one of the wheels causes the bind. Just chase through the system till the culprit shows itself.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Nima
Blue 67

This may not be a smart question but I just don't undrestand. If I remove the pitman arm from drag link, doesn't that disconnect the the whole steering box/wheel from drag link? How does the wheels are suppose to be connected to steering wheel? How does they are going to turn when I turn the steering wheel?
I am reading about this issue. How about the power steering pump? I know I don't have any problem turning left but does this rules out that the pump is fine? Could it be the pump? Can that be tested on the truck? I have a chevy manual which is talking about issue with hard steeing on one or either directions. It is blaming the pump and talking about testing the pump's flow with some tools which sound more expensive than changing the whole pump!. I was wondering if pumps have some adjument screws?!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
PRattenbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
This may not be a smart question but I just don't undrestand. If I remove the pitman arm from drag link, doesn't that disconnect the the whole steering box/wheel from drag link? How does the wheels are suppose to be connected to steering wheel? How does they are going to turn when I turn the steering wheel?
I am reading about this issue. How about the power steering pump? I know I don't have any problem turning left but does this rules out that the pump is fine? Could it be the pump? Can that be tested on the truck? I have a chevy manual which is talking about issue with hard steeing on one or either directions. It is blaming the pump and talking about testing the pump's flow with some tools which sound more expensive than changing the whole pump!. I was wondering if pumps have some adjument screws?!
Pumps have always been a black box I would simply replace, which seems to go along with what you would do.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote