The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Hawgwrestler

Currently In Iraq

I am currently in Iraq and plan on resotring my 1972 Blazer 4x4. I really need a complete steering column from the rag joint all the way up to steering wheel. Also looking for a good wiring harness including fuse box and a restorable front end including grill, insert, headlight, etc. If anyone knows where I can find these things pretty cheap please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hawgwrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
msgross

Re: Currently In Iraq

thanks for your service... i'm in the military as well...

do you need a tilt? best chance is the parts board and I suggest a new wiring harness...

the painless kit will cost you about $300-$400 dollars
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
truckster

It was after I went to Iraq that my wife decided I should buy my Blazer, so I guess it worked out pretty well for me. Sorry I can't help with the parts you need.

Be safe and don't forget to turn the lights out when you leave.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
rsavage

Thanks for your service. Stay safe. Hope you are home soon working on that Blazer.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Hawgwrestler

No I dont need a tilt. I would like to keep it like it is without tilt. I have checked out thre painless kits before just checking to see if there was anything else out there. Dont worry truckster we are turning the lights out pretty quick. Thanks for the replies and the support that us service men and women get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hawgwrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for your service as well! I agree cruise the parts section and you'll find quite a bit of the stuff you need. Some times good used un cut harnesses pop up. Stay safe over there!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
bigbadchev72
People know me

I have installed 3 different wiring harnesses in my trucks so far. A painless, ez wire, and a summit brand one.

I personally think the painless is overpriced and the only thing you gain is the firewall bulkhead is 3 piece like the factory one. I really like the EZ wire one I installed in the 67, it is like the Summit one and does not have a bulkhead connector and gives a cleaner install. I filled in the factory hole for the fuseblock and then drilled a 1" hole in its place with a bushing for all the engine compartment wires to pass through.

The bad thing is if I wanted to pull the front clip, you would have to unplug all the connectors. I dont really like the summit one since I got the one with the mini fuses and the diagram of what fuses are where is on the lid, a real pain when I accidently mis-placed it.

All of them have labeling on the wires every foot, and were pretty much identical other than the fuseblock unbolting on the painless.

All were made with quality wire.
Dont think that the painless is a plug and play like I originally thought. It is just like the other 3 brands I installed, they leave all the wires long and all have to be trimmed down to fit exact. All light sockets have to be installed, I think all that comes with them is the headlight pigtails and the headlight switch pigtail. All the ignition, gauges, heater, side marker, turn signal, tailight sockets and other misc connectors off the original harness have to be used.

Just dont throw out your factory harness until you have 100% installed your new one, you have to re-use the heater wiring, wipers and some misc. I soldered all connections and heat-shrinked them. If I were to install another on I would go with the EZwire as it is a little under $200 vs the $500 for a painless.

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

Thank you for your service and stay safe!
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote