The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
funkytechmonkey

how are our windows held into the track to roll up and down?

Mine keeps falling out of the track when rolling it down. Is it a putty glue or clips?
Posted via Mobile Device
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
71 super

Re: how are our windows held into the track to roll up and down?

The window is held into the metal sash with a type of friction tape. You should be able to get replacement tape from a glass shop but you will have to remove the sash and glass to install which means you will also have to remove the vent window first. There are some good step by step instructions in the FAQ section for removing and installing the glass and vent window. In order to replace the friction tape, use a razor knife to clean old material out, scrub, prime and paint sash with a good epoxy paint. Wrap the friction tape around the bottom edge of the glass and use a soft face rubber mallet or wooden block to gently drive the glass back into the sash. This is best accomplished by placing the window top down on a thick quilt and driving the sash back into place onto the glass bottom. One the glass is back into place ( be sure to center the sash onto the glass before starting) on the sash, use the razor knife once more to trim the excess tape and the glass is ready to reinstall. I like to use a good lithium grease on the window tracks where the rollers move- one is located on the inner frame of the door and the second is located on the sash. Another option that works well believe it or not is petrolium jelly in the tracks. Reinstall is the reverse of removal. Roll the window regulator to the very top of its arch (this is a good time to replace wipes and sweeps and the window removal and install is easier if originals are removed). Slide the window sash back into the roller tracks once you see it, it becomes very clear and roll window back down. Now remove the top phillips and the two lower phillips 1/4 bolts holding the rear window support so that it can be slid down and back slightly this will help when you reinstall the vent window. To reinstall it, turn the window so that the bracket slides into the door frame and slowly and gently roll the vent window back into place. Reinstall the rear window support (three screw/bolts) and the bolts that hold the vent into place, reinstall the door panel and get on with your day. Figure 2 hours for first time possibly less if everything goes well. Good luck
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
mrein3

I bought a used driver's side door once that had the glass loose in the door with the track and the regulator. Since the door glass on my soon to be replaced door had a U worn into it from some cowboy using it as an arm rest I decided to try to use the "new" glass.

I ordered the piece of rubber that holds the window in place from a supplier - probably LMC because this was before this resrouce and all the good vendors we now have to choose from were available.

I cleaned and painted the track.

One day my dad - who worked at the St. Paul Ford Assembly plant for 42 years was over. I showed him my glass, track, and piece of rubber and asked him how I put them together.

He asked if I had a short piece of 2x4. I found on and handed it to him. He proceeded to take the stuff out on to my lawn, lined up the glass with the rubber and track, and WHACKED the track on to the glass with the top edge of the glass on the grass.

It has been rolling up and down after that since about 1995.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
funkytechmonkey

Good info... Thanks so much!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote