The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
grs

steering stop cut off

The po cut the steering stops off the a-arms when he put 2 inch shorter coil springs in the truck. It is an 87. Do the stops have to be removed? I removed the 2 inch , and put 1 inch shorter springs in the truck. I know of a yard that will sell me a-arms for $30.00 each. They have 73 to 87 trucks and burbs. In case they don't have truck a-arms will suburban a-arms work? Need help soon.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: steering stop cut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
The po cut the steering stops off the a-arms when he put 2 inch shorter coil springs in the truck. It is an 87. Do the stops have to be removed? I removed the 2 inch , and put 1 inch shorter springs in the truck. I know of a yard that will sell me a-arms for $30.00 each. They have 73 to 87 trucks and burbs. In case they don't have truck a-arms will suburban a-arms work? Need help soon.
You can run w/o the bump/steering stops but they don't have to be removed. Many people remove them so the bumpstop doesn't limit suspension travel @ the x-member.

My experiences say that if you remove the bump/steering stop, you're only shifting where the point of contact is....
If you still have inner fender wells & the tires are tall enough, you'll have occassional interference there.
If you remove the inner fender wells & bump/steering stops, the lower control arm bushings will make occassional contact (interference) w/the road.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You can run w/o the bump/steering stops but they don't have to be removed. Many people remove them so the bumpstop doesn't limit suspension travel @ the x-member.

My experiences say that if you remove the bump/steering stop, you're only shifting where the point of contact is....
If you still have inner fender wells & the tires are tall enough, you'll have occassional interference there.
If you remove the inner fender wells & bump/steering stops, the lower control arm bushings will make occassional contact (interference) w/the road.
Thanks. Can the steering stop limit suspension travel?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks. Can the steering stop limit suspension travel?
Technically yes.

It is part of the bumpstop structure & right on the edge of the x-member if you were to fully compress the a-arm w/o a spring installed. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what else (if anything) might limit travel up to that point as I've always kept a steering stop in place (just slightly trimmed down).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
grs

Quote:
Technically yes.

It is part of the bumpstop structure & right on the edge of the x-member if you were to fully compress the a-arm w/o a spring installed. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what else (if anything) might limit travel up to that point as I've always kept a steering stop in place (just slightly trimmed down).
I have a 69 a-arm in my garage. I looked at it, and the steering stop has a rubber bump stop in it. I could just cut the bump stop down 1 inch. I think that would compensate for the 1 inch shorter coil spring. Provided that the 87 has a bump stop in the a-arm. I may go to the yard to get the a-arms. I think I need ball joints also.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
I have a 69 a-arm in my garage. I looked at it, and the steering stop has a rubber bump stop in it. I could just cut the bump stop down 1 inch. I think that would compensate for the 1 inch shorter coil spring. Provided that the 87 has a bump stop in the a-arm. I may go to the yard to get the a-arms. I think I need ball joints also.
The arms are built very similar but are not exact duplicates. The bump/steering stop combos would be similar w/different dimensions for the steering stops (disc vs drum spindles).

You can trim the bump stop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
grs

Quote:
The arms are built very similar but are not exact duplicates. The bump/steering stop combos would be similar w/different dimensions for the steering stops (disc vs drum spindles).

You can trim the bump stop.
Thanks for the help.