The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
BrookelynnGreen

Electric 2 Mechanical Fuel Pump

1986 Chevrolet C10 SWB

I have an electrical fuel pump, I'm wanting to use a mechanical fuel pump. Can you guys give me some advice on what needs to be done in order for me to use a mechanical fuel pump? Would I need to take off the electrical pump or leave it? Would I need to cut any wires feeding it power? When I turn my truck on, the electrical pump "clicks" pretty loud, it gets annoying, and also I have heard mechanical pumps are more reliable.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Electric 2 Mechanical Fuel Pump

The "more reliable" thing is bunk, most of the cars/trucks on the road today are fuel injected, and have electric pumps.

If you just want to swap it anyway...
You must first be sure that your engine is even capable of running one. Newer blocks are not equipped for it, but if your '86 is original, it should.
Next, you need to determine the state of things. It is possible that the original pushrod is still there and all you need to do is remove the cover plate and install the new pump. Connect the lines and you are almost done. I would remove the electric one though. You don't want the mechanical pump to have to draw through it.

Personally, I would leave the electric and drive it. There are pumps that don't make as much noise, but you will still hear most of the ones that are externally mounted, unless your exhaust is fairly loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
njlimbaugh

Re: Electric 2 Mechanical Fuel Pump

You can leave the electric pump installed; just put a toggle switch on it an keep it for backup. Neither pump will know the other one is there.
njlimbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote