The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Removing Valve covers without bending

Anyone have a trick for removing the valve covers without bending them ,just replaced the header gaskets and was going to replace the valve cover gasket also but the suckers wont budge and I'm bending the metal.
Thanks
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I take a real thin paint scraper and tap it through the gasket with a small hammer, then just go around the cover till I'm done.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:03 PM   #3
COBALT

The thinnest putty knife you have. If you have valve covers like me they have a pretty deep ridge that prevents anything stiff from getting in there.

I quit using gaskets with tack because of this. The idiot who owned my truck before me glued his valve covers down, and since he didn't have hold-downs he used a screw-driver and a hammer and dimpled the ridges down all around the valve cover. They leaked like crazy.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I use a soft rubber hammer and smack the covers on the corner. It works everytime.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #5
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Thanks ;
I gave up for today ,still have to replace the header gasket on the AC side tomorrow ,
There just aint that much room to manuver a putty knife and hammer on the BB .These covers are on good but they leak and I was going to replace the gaskets .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Old 08-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive used a rubber mallet and whacked em a couple times and they seem to fall off

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've done tha rubber mallet too, but I have also fubared a rather nice chevrolet script cover with that same mallet.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Any cusssin' goin' on Bill? Sounds like a good time for some new valve covers with O-ring type gaskets. I sure don't miss the old ones after changing over, and not a drop has leaked.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:38 AM   #9
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

LB ; Wish you were right around the block could have used some help today with the headers.
Member Old Farts Club

Old 08-14-2003, 12:56 AM   #10
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I couldn't have made it, I was in Wichita with Yukon Jack doing important stuff! Well, it was kinda important. OK, we were goofing off for a while, hehee! It was a hell of a lot more fun than fighting headers and valve covers, I guarantee that! And we had some primo mexican food for lunch, man was it delicious! Yukon's favorite mexican food restaurant is now my favorite also. Good luck with the gaskets man, hope things go better tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:30 PM   #11
jimfulco

Sears sells a scraper that looks like a putty knife but it has a full-length metal body (hammer-friendly) with wood slabs like a knife and it's way stiffer. When you put the new ones on, give the bottom side a thorough slathering with Permatex Super 300 (brush on stuff, formerly #3 Aviation Permatex). I changed mine last year & after 26 years, they pulled right off, all except a 2" section of gasket that I had to use my thumb & forefinger on.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:30 PM   #12
casey

Bill heres your chance, bend them and show the wife how cheap they are and tell her your going to need an aluminium pair with chevrolet inscripted on them, you want them just so your not replacing them all the time, you don't want me spending money on valve covers all the time do you honey LOL
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try a utility knife. Angle it up under the lip and cut the gasket.Once it's off you can clean both halves.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote