The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
69rut

motor mounts

I am installing a '97 V-6 in place of the factory 6 in my '69 truck. I have the correct V-8 stands and the V-8 motor mounts will bolt to the V-6. The question I have concerns how the mounts are attached to the stands. One mount I saw ( http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=SBMM072 ) has a bolt hole in the middle. Does this attach directly to the stand or is there a spacer, coushion that fits in there?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: motor mounts

I think that the one with a big bolt hole in the center is for a big block
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Mine are like what you have posted. Just a center bolt that goes through it.Bolt goes through stand from below into mount, no spacers, or anything.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

These trucks used one style, the V6 you have (still assuming it is a 4.3) uses a newer style. You either need old style on both the frame and the motor, or the new style on the frame and the motor
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Sammy

I am also in the process of working the V6 4.3 in a 67 frame also. Get your measuring stick out! Measure the distance from the center of where the mount is on the block to the rear of the block. Compared to a Sm V8 there is about 4 inches difference. If you look at your frame. You will see the fartheset current hole in it to the rear is slightly more than 3 inches. Just before you get to where the frame starts a downward slope. So some type of redrill to move sm block towers to the rear appears to be necessary or fab the adjusted tower mounts someway. Otherwise you will have a engine with a huge gap between the firewall, which wouldn't look natural. The gap at the front if you move it rearward can be solved I believe with electric fans/ shroud. Rad hose could be a slight challenge. I haven't set the 4.3 in the towers yet to see how level it will sit. First I am prepping the frame and doing the suspension upgrade to 5 lug F/R with drop spindles and Dominator Bags. I know this wasn't really what you were asking about but it is my observations so far. If she sits level in the mounts my plan is using the stock small block mounts n towers. I have named my project "Odd Ball" as it will have some interesting adjustments to overcome. Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
69rut

Sammy, we think alike. I haven't done any measuring on the block, but it had crossed my mind. I have a V-8 in the garage for comparision. The V-6 mount will bolt on the V-8, same pattern. My thought is that these V-6's are the same as V-8's in many respects and the factory motor mounts will work.

When I looked at an LMC catalog, one type of motor mount has a cushion between the mount and stand (big block from what is posted above) but since I removed the engine some time ago, I forgot how it all went together.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Sammy

69rut
We are embarking on a similar quest and should keep each other informed on the progress or setbacks we occur during our build. My build thread is located under Midwest/ Missouri area on this site. If you any questions or comments you may see my progress there. Or feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
I have the original V6 mounts with ownership to the 93 V6 doesn't look to work in our frame. From appearances, the older V6 mounts pics I seen on the parts board even looks as they would be too low inside the frame.
My current efforts are focused on converting/ prepping the frame for 5 lug.
Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I cant help much with the 4.3 swap(haddent tryed it), but its basically 3/4 of a sb v8. I had thought that they lopped off the front 2 cyls? You need to do your own measure ,as to where the mounts are located on the 4.3. On the 67-72,s I can tell you with no doubt on mounts & stands....The sb, & the Inline(230-250) use the same engine mount pads as the sb. The stands are different....the sb stands place the centerline of the eng mount 3 1/2" farther ahead than the 230/250 stands do(plus or minus 1/8"). The BB (68-71), have a simular looking mount, but use the rubber cushion on the bottom side. The stands are also different,& locate the engine differently. On that swap, you can mount it where you want.....if you mount to the rear, I would go elct fans (as already mentioned), as you will have a looong space in front Mounted to the front, you will have driveline lenght issues to deal with, but the oldstyle eng mounts should bolt right on the eng, & right down to either set ofearly (inline or sb stands). The 292 was a different animal, the dr side mount stand is the same as the 230/250, however the pass side is different. Best of fun, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Sammy

Crazy Longhorn, Thanks for your comments. Maybe if someone had some straight 6 cyl mount / frame pics it would help solve the problem I dunno. The length on the straight 6 from the center of the mount to the rear of the block measurment could be of value also.
No doubt I will figure a way even if I have to fab a small plate on the frame for the adjustment to the rear to get the tranny somewhat hidden under the cab. This V6 install I believe is do able but will involve a slight learning curve to work around a few issues.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Crazy Longhorn, Thanks for your comments. Maybe if someone had some straight 6 cyl mount / frame pics it would help solve the problem I dunno. The length on the straight 6 from the center of the mount to the rear of the block measurment could be of value also.
No doubt I will figure a way even if I have to fab a small plate on the frame for the adjustment to the rear to get the tranny somewhat hidden under the cab. This V6 install I believe is do able but will involve a slight learning curve to work around a few issues.
I 6 from the center of the mount, will be the same as a sb center to the bell flange.....I have mounted the sb on I 6 stands, many times(its a bolt in) If you need centerline on the sb ,to the bell, I can do that measure for you tommorro. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
crazy longhorn

Ok, I had a little time tonite.....the sb measures 16 " , from the bell face to the center of the lowest motor mount bolt on the block. hope that helps you , crazyL