The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
bmfm64

Need carb help on my 72

So I bought this 72 a while ago now and finally got around to driving it further than just around the yard. It idles awesome and cruises around the yard just fine. The issue I have though is as soon as you take it out on the road and go more than a mile or so it wants to die every time you come to a stop. It will start back up but you have to pump the gas a bunch and hold your foot on the throttle once it gets goin and drop her into gear to get rollin again. This truck sat for 11 years before I bought it... truck is a 72 3/4 ton, LWB, 350/350 truck all original except the carb. Carb is an Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke. After truck has sat for a while I shine a light down the throat of the carb and operate the throttle with the motor off and don't get the usual streams of gas. Not sure this is part of the problem but I'm assuming an accelerator pump maybe? Any ideas?
Attached Images

bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
bmfm64

Re: Need carb help on my 72

Anybody?
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
geezer#99

Maybe Fuel pump is going away. You're running out of gas. Maybe Float level too low. Could be Rebuild the carb time. And pull the fuel line off and crank it over to see how much gas is being pumped. Replace that rubber fuel line with a metal tube. That's a fire waiting to happen.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
domeier

Pull it off and open it up. They're super easy carbs to understand and work on. I'd guess the most likely culprit is crud in the primary float bowl. That'll keep the float valves from closing and flood it out at idle.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Go to www.edelbrock.com

You can get technical help from their website, as well as rebuild instuctions and tuning tips.

Here's a curveball, tho. My '69 had an HEI in it and I drove it for several years before it developed a problem that sounds similar to yours. In my case (bottom line) the wire to the reluctor (pickup coil) had a break in it. When I let off of the gas pedal, the breaker plate would move and that would make the wire connection fail. As soon as it died, I'd throw it in neutral and it would fire right back up...never even stopped the truck. Before I knew exactly what was wrong, I replaced that distributor with a new (Accel) reman and it was better than ever.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote