The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Nukes16

Pitman arm

I've replaced everything in my front end at least twice, inlcuding, the steering box, the spindles, springs, ball joints, and idler arm. I've had it aligned 3 times, today will be the 4th. The only thing I haven't replaced it the pitman arm. Can the pitman arm seize so that it doesn't turn, or is difficult to turn and won't return back to center?
My wheels are easy to turn when the truck is jacked up but they don't turn well under load??
Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Pitman arm

It helps us if you give more details. Is it lowered? If so, how? Tire size? Wheel size and off-set? etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Nukes16

Yes it's been lowered, 2.5" dropped spindles in the front and hangers and shackles in the back, probably 4". The tires are 245/70r15.
The frame and front end is from a late 70's donor truck that had the steering linkage on it, but I put my 86 steering box on it from the truck that I was swapping. The pitman arm was already there so I just bolted up to it. At this point, the pitman is the only thing that I haven't swapped out. I just got back from the alingnment shop again (4th time) and it's still no better!
I did notice that the lower ball joint that I put in the passenger side seemed to be notchy and difficult to move around when the spindle was off. It was like it got caught in a groove and would stick there. I thought maybe this was because it was relatively new????
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Pitman arm? or Idler Arm?...it makes a difference.
It's not likely that you could have much of a problem with the pitman arm, other than "looseness". It is bolted directly to the steering box.
The Idler Arm, on the other hand, is bolted to the frame on the opposite side. It could very well get "sticky" at it's pivot point.
At this point, the thing is 25 years old, why not go ahead and replace it? Certainly couldn't hurt... but you could disconnect it from the center link and test it by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Nukes16

I put a brand new idler arm in it and the center link seems to be fine. It is easy to move the wheels back and forth when the truck is lifted, but for some reason they don't move when it's under load??? this is killing me!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
jdheff1982

Does your truck have power steering? If so, the steering system won't turn unless the there is some forward backward movement. Even then, it is a PIA to turn the wheels. Only reason I am saying this is because you haven't mentioned anything about PS.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Nukes16

Yes it has power steering. Could one notchy lower ball joint stiffen the whole system such that it won't return to center and it doesn't freely turn (for lack of better words). I was hoping to not have to buy a new power steering box, but that is the only thing I haven't replaced with a new one. I replaced it with one that I had lying around, but it wasn't new, and of course didn't solve my problem.
I am just about ready to scrap this truck, it driving me crazy!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
jdheff1982

Is it possible to get pics of your steering system? You say it works fine jacked up, but under its own weight, it won't steer. Is the stiffness equivalent to not having any PS at all? I would def. look at the PS system. Make sure the pump is doing its job and that the gearbox is getting fluid.

BTW, tough out the truck. I was at your point not too long ago. But my issue was with starters.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Nukes16

No the stiffness is not as bad as having no power steering at all, it's just tight like something's too tight, but nothing is!
I dunno, I've about had it.

I guess I'll try and swap out the power steering box and switch the pitman arm, if that doesn't work I'm going to pull my hair out. $300 bucks for a new steering box. wow
Thanks guys for your help
Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
jdheff1982

when the truck is on the ground, how much left/right movement can you get? I would almost bet something is catching on the spindles. Since when the truck is up in the air, the front wheels will hang lower than when on the ground. I would have someone help you with this. They turn the steering wheel while you watch the linkage move.

My truck has been lowered. Not correctly though. The PO just put in lowering springs and left he spindles factory. There are times when the steering binds up and prevents me from turning the wheel as far as I need to.

Something to look at anyways.

Edit: Is it possible that since his truck is lowered that the bar that the pitman arm is connected is getting caught by the frame?

Last edited by jdheff1982; 09-30-2011 at 09:15 PM.
jdheff1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Nukes16

I thought that something must be hanging up on the spindles as well, but the steering seems to be notchy when you have the wheels going straight.
I'll check to make sure that the idler arm bar isn't getting hung up. I just swapped my power steering box out again last night, tried a 3rd one, but still no fix.
I wonder if there could be binding in the steering column when the weight is on the truck. It spins freely when jacked though?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
1LowToy

The ball joint could be your issue.
When I had mine torn down I found a bad one. If it was drasticly lowered with springs alone it may have bound a ball joint on a full turn at one point. You can in some cases lift the boot an look at the lowers. Here's a dangerous look at the one I found. You can also take the drag link off at the outer tierods, jack the wheel up at the lower control arm and turn the wheel to see if the ball joints are bound. The ball joints should not be hard to turn or rotate at all. Do the lower contoll arms look damaged in any way from bottoming out on the ground? Show us a pic of your center link. It is possible to install that backwards and you will have all kinds of steering issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1LowToy; 10-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
Nukes16

I don't think that the center link could be on backwards, it appears as though it only goes on one way. I'd have to be a complete idiot to screw that up, which certainly is a possibility, so I better check again. The wheel does turn freely when it's jacked up and I disconnect the tie rod, it only seems to bind when it's under load. I'm thinking about replacing the passenger ball joint one more time. If this doesn't fix it I am going to quit trying and just drive it like it is.
Thanks again guys