The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Egg rolls with that rice?

Had the longhorn out for a spin today, & my little bro loved driving the old truck. On the way home,I get this little ricer buzzing me.....well, i drop the hammer & lite it one time. Next light, the kid is asking "whats in that truck"? I told him , 383 with a 6 spd richmond behind it. he says, "how does it run".....not too bad for a heavy truck......he tryed it! I was impressed, he stayed with me for 10-15ft of the 1st gear After 2nd was about 1/2 cranked, it was time to back off....nothing more to show! Now we see the american steel/ricer fight all the time, but the kid wasnt the butt head to put down the stuff I grew up on, & was impressed with what a heavy truck could do. The little booger sounded good @ 7500-8000 rpms......but just didnt have the tork/power that a stroked sb did @ 5700 rpms! we all give these guys hell, but they are still playing the "hotrod game" that we all love My hat is off to the guys running the 4cyl "rods"......its a new game to many of us. The ones that run down our old american steel are butt heads & will piss us off......but many are just having fun "playing" like we all have ......just a little different "twist" to the game. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
miket

Amen! It's all good.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:50 AM   #3
Green72GMC

4 cylinders are cool sometimes, as long as they dont have a fart tip on it. I kind of like some of the import cars that are fixed up. Of course not the ones with aftermarket wings, fart tips, outrageous body kits, or japanese letters on them. I like the ones with performance exhaust, chrome rims that are smaller than 17'' on those cars, stock height, and hopped up.

The Second Amendment is in place incase they ignore the
others.
Green72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:23 AM   #4
casey

theses are the young guys cars, what do old rodders expect them to drive, for one there isn't an old camaro on every lot any more and they couldn't afford the gas either, specially the amount of miles people put on theses days, my son has a 1992 integra, I'm really impressed with that little car, hes got like 300,000 km on it or 180,000 miles what ever you prefer, and he's only had to put 2 timing belts in it, still runs perfect and doesn't use oil, how can you hate that
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:01 AM   #5
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

No doubt hey Casey! That's the one thing you got to love about the little cars!

I agree with you too Green72GMC - some of them are pretty cool looking, BUT they can get pretty obnoxcious at times!
Old 08-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
miket

you know it's funny.....way back in 93 I bought a brand new Mazda MX6...I liked the body style ...it was the newer one...It had a six speed and a 164 hp 2.5 litre V6. Now this was before the big import craze...just when things like Tire Rack were coming online...(pic on my website)

I ordered a set of dropped springs, new BBS Moda 16" (that was BIG at the time) wheels with Pirelli PZeros...I then purchased PIAA 959's for undeer the front bumpe tucked away...

My next steps was a new higher flow exhaust....but they weren't available....I was even looking at new heads and having the block decked...I had the car up to 130 stock.

My other vehicles at the time were:

67 Shortbed GMC 383 lowered
61 Chevy shortbed Stepside 4X4 LS5
79 Trans AM 455 with NOS

some of these newer cars are very cool...I am fond of the new G35(pic on my website)...and the new neon turbo is quite impressive.

Like I said it's all good.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
1969 GMC

those import cars are cool. since the festiva's exhaust fell off, it sounds like a "ricer" now. haha. seriously, my friend has a mitsubishi eclipse (2nd gen) it is a fun car to drive. only bad thing is 6' is about the max comfortable height in it, I have to stick my head into the sunroof cutout or else hit it on the ceiling constantly. mitsus dont match honda/acura, toyota, and nissan for reliability though. car only has 98k, and has a new engine, clutch, and cmputer.
i would like to test drive the now-discontinued Acura CL Type-S (260 hp V6, 6 speed) or the new Honda Accord EX V6 6 speed. I have heard that with a few modifications, they can scream. i test drove the Acura RSX Type-S, and its a very impressive car. I know some of you guys hate imports, but these really are good cars.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #8
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

Crazy longhorn is right! As long as the kid behind the wheel respects what has come before he is just doing what all of you guys did at his age....driving a "cool" ride. Just different than what all of you grew up with in the definition of "COOL"

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
miket

70blazin...I agree.

Hey you guys go test drive an Infiniti...they rock. 260hp in the 4 door and 280 hp in the 2 door....heads are ported...

Old 08-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Crazy, you are probably old enough to have seen this yourself as a teen. You wanted a GTO or a big block chevelle, and your old man was wondering why the hell you want to hop up a new car...this whole muscle car thing is just a kids thing....while he would go out and polish his 32 highboy or T bucket.
It's the same thing all over again.
I was into the import thing at one time (before it was the 'in' thing) and I was very impressed with the amount of power you could milk them for...and still get decent MPG.
I had an old beat up Honda Civic Si...a 86 model. It was the second year for the Si and the MPFI (they call it PGMFI) on the 1.5 12 valve.
I went to the junk yard and dug up some parts off of a Honda 2.0, and came very close to installing a daul carb intake, but was convinced to stick witht eh FI when a buddy told me about his friend that can mess with my computer.
I ended up with a small hatch back that was doing solid 13.5s in the quarter according to my G-tech computer, adn I was making all the 5.slow mustang guys cry. I had looked for an exhaust system for it, but couldn't find one...so i went old school with a glass pack. I ended up straight piping it later on, but that was a bit on the obnoxious side.
Oh, did I mention the 30 - 35 MPG on the road, and 28 - 30 delivering pizzas? I was pretty dissapointed with that though since I was able to get 49 MPG on the freeway when it was stock.
The other thing I did hate though, there was no upgrades for the tranny nor clutch. In about 5 years, i destroied 4 transmissions,a nd 8 clutches. I was dropping the tranny every 6 months like clockwork. I also blew up 4 or 5 half shafts too.
I threw in teh towel and got the longhorn when all of a sudden everyone had stupid 3 level wings and neon lights and 18 inch rims.
I had taken the rear disc brakes off of an Acura Integra, a rear sway bar off the same (it was INSIDE the solid rear axle) I did manage to find a header for it, had 15 inch Emkie rims with 195/60's up front, and 205/50s in the back.
Once the wife got her car and mine became the second car, the back seat came out. That sucker weighed almost 60 pounds! It was a split back deal with reclining sides and you could slide it forward and back. I also then welded the rear shocks into a single solid piece to form lovk outs. I placed about 350 pounds of stuff in the back to get the desired ride height before welding it. I then loosened the front torsion bars to lower the front. I did this for the drag strip times, but I was amazed that it cornered better! Althugh, every one told me I was pulling the inside rear off the pavement in tight corners.

But I am feeling much better now though.
There is very little comrodery in the import game from what I saw. you have your small gang of buds, and everyone else was seen as compitition...there is no corvette wave (Or classic truck wave) and if you blew something up, instead of helping, they would laugh as they dump the clutch.

Nothing like the behaviour of a true old school hot rodder.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

To me I don't care what you drive as long as you love cars and respect them all. It's already been mentioned, the attitude or respect for whatever the person drives/builds is what counts. We all "rod" whatever we can afford or fits our desires....and that changes at times. We all have our preferences, but the building and driving is where it is at!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote