The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
thorn1968

Cool New to the Bowtie

About a year ago a friend of mine passed away. He left his '70 step side to his 17 year old son. At the time he had very little interest in the old rust bucket, but recently has shown interest in getting the old girl running!

So, here's what we're starting with:
'70 step side, in the front yard
Original bed with no floor or cross supports, in the back yard
I6
3 speed manual, all the linkages are gone from the column
Broken floor shifter
She turns over, but we've got no fire!
What we've done so far:
Replaced the spark plugs
Drained the old gas
new fuel filter
new rubber fuel lines
partially rebuilt the HEI dizzy, more like I soldered the broken wires on the pickup coil, and put on some heat shrink...looks like I need a curve kit to replace the worn plastic bushings, and springs up top
pulled out the floor shifter, one of the mounting tabs is broken, I think I can weld that
Removed the carb and found one of the ears is cracked at the base of the carb
Are we gonna have trouble finding a carb base for this single barrel? $200 from the parts stores seems a bit high to me.

Being a bit more familiar with the lazy S and the blue oval, I'm sure I'll have lots of stupid questions!
thorn1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: New to the Bowtie

Welcome to the board!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Florida! There are lots of great people in here that are more than willing to help any way they can. I'm a big block guy so I don't know squat about I6's but your in the right place. Good Luck.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
hugger6933

Great to see a fellow Arkansasn on here there are a good number of us. bozo eagleuh1 boog chevloray just to name a few. good guys all, from what I know of them on here. The ones I have either met in person or talked to are real good people. Now with that said where do you live? May be if your close I could take a lookat what you have to work withas I am traveling around. Also I don't belive in stupid questions, if you don't know just ask . There is a wealth of information on here and the knowledge base on here is quite large. Good luck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
70cst

and from Ohio.

Oh yes...we luv pics

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Welcome from Maryland. You can most likely find another carb in the parts section.Lots of guys with left overs and extras laying around. You just need a good body to combine with your carb,but might find a good operating one. The monojets can be expensive compared to quadrajets. Seems odd,but I guess 4bbls are more common.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
mpotts64

hello and welcome, where in AR? Texarkana here. I have been lurking around here for a while and this is a great place for info. They have helped me tons with their knowledge and reading the threads on different topics. The guys on here are super smart on these old trucks and more than willing to help. Good for you for helping out the boy with the truck, if I can do anything give me a shout,

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -

Last edited by mpotts64; 10-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote