The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Re: New to forum - Looking for information

I love hearing what others have said. I'm the first one to cut one up. But you have a darn nice truck condition-wise and valid documentation from day one. I'd really think seriously about restoring it back to original. In these tough ecnomic times, I'm betting it would be a fair investment. I'm not a restore freak, but buy another shell later to modify. One with no pedigree.
JMO
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
Welcome! We'll need pictures to give you our most accurate opinions

Post some up when you get it.

If it were MY G'pas' blue '68 that I used to ride out to the farm in (truck is long gone), I'd keep it as close to original as possible. It can be rebuilt and repainted 100 times but it's only original once.

If you're on a budget, replacing a running engine seems to not be the way to go. There are many cases of neglected trucks just needing a tune up and a little elbow grease to run well and be great drivers. Also there's no shame in a 6 cyl. They really purr when tuned right, have plenty of torque, and are kind-of a novelty now a days. Love it for what it is.

If it has original paint and it's all one color the most popular thing to do would be give it a good bath and leave it alone. A truck showing it's bumps and bruises that took decades to earn gets respect. Some would even say polishing the paint would be like polishing a patina off of a tiffany lamp. You've seen Antique Roadshow, right?

#1 Don't go crazy buying a bunch of parts you don't really need and tearing things apart that don't need fixing. ...Good way to blow a budget.

#2 Make sure the brakes are good before you drive it. "Whoa" before "Go".

My opinion may change if its in really bad shape. i.e. big rust holes, missing parts, etc... Then it may make sense to upgrade components and finishes.

For what it's worth, that's what I think...
+1 - good info right here ^.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #28
crabbypatty333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWall View Post
In Tulsa there is a cruise night every Tuesday night @ Fuddruckers (Hwy 1-69 & 71st Street) were all kinds of car show up but there is usually about 4-6 C-10's there. It's website is http://members.cox.net/tulsacruise/main.htm & it also lists the area car shows.

Also, there is place just south of Tulsa called Kenny's Trucks that specializes in these trucks... he does everything from build them to sell every part imaginable for them. He is a super nice guy.

His website is http://www.kennystrucks.com
Thanks very much for the heads up on this. I will be sure to check both of these out. Does the cruise night cost any money to bring your vehicle? Would I be out of place to bring my truck down? I am new to this stuff, but it seems like most of the cars at those things are all shiny and have lots of work into them. I don't want to be "that guy" that shows up in his POS and nobody wants to park next to.
crabbypatty333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
crabbypatty333

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post
EDIT: I'll also suggest an HEI swap if not already done. Just grabbed one off ebay for $70 shipped. Or go diving at the pick & pulls and get one off a later model sixxer!!
OK, I'm going to show my mechanical ignorance a little. I did a search for HEI both on the forum and on ebay and now realize that it is a distributor. What is the benefit of the HEI distributor over the stock distributor? Is this an easy unbolt one device and bolt the other in swap or is it more complicated than that?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #30
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbypatty333 View Post
Thanks very much for the heads up on this. I will be sure to check both of these out. Does the cruise night cost any money to bring your vehicle? Would I be out of place to bring my truck down? I am new to this stuff, but it seems like most of the cars at those things are all shiny and have lots of work into them. I don't want to be "that guy" that shows up in his POS and nobody wants to park next to.
The show is all free.
You come and go as you want.

There all kinds of stuff out there from high dollar cars & trucks to projects in the works but most are closer to finished... if nothing else just come out there and look around & see if you'd like to bring your truck out the next week or not.

It will only be going on for a few more weeks (thru October) so you could always check it out in the next few weeks & aim to get the truck out there when it starts again next April.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
crabbypatty333

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
As some of the others have mentioned that six may surprise you. Those things are tough as nails.... My Green '67 has a six cyl. and it drives really nice. The easiest way for me to tell if it is a 250 cubic inch or a 292 cubic inch is to look at the metal push rod/lifter covers on the passenger side of the block. If they are 4" tall it is a 250 and if they are 6" tall it is a 292. The fuel pumps are also in different locations.

Here is a good thread on the differences in the two:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321521

Welcome to the board.

LockDoc
RE: 250 vs 292 - Thanks for the link LockDoc. I read a little about the differences and looking at my pictures I am inclined to say that I have a 250 in this truck. It appears that the passenger side engine mount is further back and that the fuel pump is located just in front of the mount between the mount and the oil filter. Would you guys agree?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
bruceman1968

Yes, it's a 250, which is a great motor. I'd keep it if it were me. Also you got a GREAT lookin truck with a awesome story behind it. I love it, Thanks for sharin it with us.
Here are a couple threads with some tricked out sixes, and Welcome to the board.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=258488
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276823
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #33
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbypatty333 View Post
OK, I'm going to show my mechanical ignorance a little. I did a search for HEI both on the forum and on ebay and now realize that it is a distributor. What is the benefit of the HEI distributor over the stock distributor? Is this an easy unbolt one device and bolt the other in swap or is it more complicated than that?
HEI eliminates points & condensor, so no adjustments/maintenance needed. In a nutshell, the project is:

--unhook battery
--remove dist cap and mark where the dizzy is pointing. (for ease, kick the motor until it's pointed straight back at the firewall or some other easy reference.)
--remove dist and coil
--install HEI with the bug pointed to the same point that the dizzy was.
--check three times to make sure you're confident that you've done the previous step. The HEI shaft will rotate slightly as you engage the drive gear and it's easy to be a tooth off from where you think you are.
--using 10ga wire, run 12V from an ign hot source on the fuse block
--apply power and test

What did I miss, guys?

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #34
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Man, I think I would have to restore it. Thats cool, and a lot of history. Keep it stock.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #35
67cheby
67cheby

cool truck
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
crabbypatty333

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
Post a pic of the SPID label from the inside of the glove box door. It will show options including colors.
Stomper, Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Here is the SPID label