The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

1 Day Off Friday, Need Input On What I Should Make Priority On My Truck

Hey guys. Just got the truck done. I had an issue with a car wash in the middle of winter before I started the build. Water got up into the bay, my truck died. Would not start unless gas pedal was to the floor. With the pedal to the floor it popped backfired and shot gas/some flames out the tail pipes. After a 30 seconds to a minute it started back up to a semi normal idle and after idling for 5 i began my 50 mile trip home. The truck since then had idled a little bit rough, and when I started driving it last week it was hesitating, surging *Lunging to normal and to missfire and back to normal, like it was firing and not* Also was backfiring majorly when in gear and foot off the gas. I knew in the back of my mind that it was probably a bad rotor and cap. I changed them tonight and it made a BIG difference. No more backfiring, still a little hesitant, however its 40 degrees here in slc. also the truck, when the pedal is to the floor bogs down and hesitates a bit. I am going to do the plugs and wires and hopefully that takes care of the rest of it.

I was just wondering what else that will be easy and quick that I can do tomorrow my only day off in the last 3 weeks??????

Also I'm running what I beleive to be a stock quadro jet??? and I'm missing the pickup??? that controls the 4bbl and it's open all the time, am I going to have to make my own link? and if so what lenght?

I'm so sorry this post isn't to punctual, I worked 14 hours today and am about ready to pass out for the night.

Any input will be appreciated

Cw72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: 1 Day Off Friday, Need Input On What I Should Make Priority On My Truck

Pull the distributor cap and look for condensation/moisture.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Flint70step

Take off your dizzy cap and rotor to check out your advance weights.Often overlooked when changing out cap'n rotor the weights can get stuck and not work properly to get the advance curve in motion.Check the little nylon bushings on the spring towers for wear and replace as necc.Good luck,hope this helps,be good

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
BMERDOC

Sorry, maybe I should read a little closer next time. I didn't see how much time had passed.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Sorry, maybe I should read a little closer next time. I didn't see how much time had passed.
No worries, I changed the cap and rotor tonight, everything under the rotor looked nice and clean, The cap and rotor made a huge difference, however it still has some small popping which i think may be a couple weak plugs because the dizzy was missing pretty bad and I think it probably took its toll on them . It was running so rich before i did the cap.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

I AM SO TIRED, I guess it may have been beneficial to tell you guys the old cap was corroded and the tip of the rotor was burnt. Thats why I think I should change the plugs, because if for the months it was driven while running rough, it probably fouled the plugs and stressed the wires!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
sean1969c10

Change plugs, check timing, and try to hit a wrecking yard to find the link for the quadrajet. Good luck and have a great day off!!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1969c10 View Post
Change plugs, check timing, and try to hit a wrecking yard to find the link for the quadrajet. Good luck and have a great day off!!!
good call, i had a few pick and pulls in the back of my mind. the weather is cold and snowy here today so i wont have to fight the crowd!!!

Thanks A Million
Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
sean1969c10

How did you make out today? That is a nice lookin' truck, too bad the weather gets bad out there so early.

2002 Acura MDX my DD
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Hey guys! It's been an eventful day for sure!!! I did the plugs and wires. I'll give you some history on why I let them get this bad and why I am so glad I did the tune up. I got the truck from the second owner who got it as a wedding gift from the original owner. The guy I got it from had the engine bay tucked. Event he spark plug wires were ran so neat that I couldnt see them to well. I took his word that he had tuned it up recently as it ran strong. I also didnt notice that the pickup linkage was gone and it was tied open with a piece of string!!! Any who, the plugs were horrible, probably 10 years old if it matches the date on the wires. 2 were probably a hair under hand tight. They had used tape to number the wires, and dated them 1-2002!! Thats right, they hadnt been done for almost 10 years!!!! Although they look ok in the pictures i'll post, they are stiff, and when you flex them there is broken insulation everywhere!!!!! Back to the 4bbl pick up. I think that when the ignition system was strong enough it didnt affect performance to much, other than burning through fuel way to quick?!? but as the ignition system got weak it was the cause of more problems. So between the wires plugs rotor and cap the thing is running like a brand new truck!!! Also, i took your advice and went to my local *Closest there are five in my area* Pick and pull. There was one 67-72 in the whole yard, and my luck???? It had a quadra jet on it!! Got the linkage!!! (Anyone in the magna utah area, if you want buddy buckets, it has them in it, in ok shape) just cant afford it at the moment, to many projects to do already. So I got the linkage on and no more sputtering with the carb all the way open!!

So yay!! got a lot done. My wife was at work, so i said when she got home, hey take the truck and get us some food, she came back and asked if I finally put a new motor in it?!?!?! And I"m happy that I wont have to put a new one in ! I had a fear of timing issues or just a tired engine!

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
rsavage

Happy that you got it all fixed up!
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
rsavage

PS - spent about a week in Provo and SLC this summer on an around the country trip. Your state is fantastically beautiful from north to south. I've seen a lot of the country and Utah is one of the most beautiful places in America.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
PS - spent about a week in Provo and SLC this summer on an around the country trip. Your state is fantastically beautiful from north to south. I've seen a lot of the country and Utah is one of the most beautiful places in America.
Thank ya! and yeah, it really is, I am not a huge fan of winter, but the mountains in our back yard really make for a beautiful summer spring and fall!! I'm just west of i15 in the west jordan area!! I'm also a big fan of chicago, but I reside here Did you get to go up into the canyons?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
lil hoodlum

Hey thats awesome! Congratulations. Now don't you wish every project turned out this well!

Good job!

Keith

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 10-07-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: too slow
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
sean1969c10

I too have been to SLC, West Jordan to be exact, my ex's family lives there. Now my 11 yr old son lives in Saratoga Springs with his Mom. It felt VERY different from the east coast, I liked to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Glad you braved the weather and had a good day.

2002 Acura MDX my DD
Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Thanks guys!! Yes I wish every project went like this. This is the first one i've had ever that went this smooth. Between my focus, my wifes probe, and my h2, I never get a smooth project, a bolt breaks, I dont have a tool, Etc etc, this went smooth. And my diabetes cooperated the whole afternoone too!!! SWEET!

Yeah, I don't like the winter here, I am from chicago, and love the eastern side of this country. I often find myself missing chicago, even the corn in nebraska and iowa. Maybe one day i'll get back