The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

S10 swap & gas tank...

I'm setting up the bed from my '49 on the S10 frame as well as fitting up the running boards and before I finalize that i started thinking about gas tank location and spare tire. this will be a bagged truck (not laying frame, but pretty damn low)
my first thought was to locate the gas tank under bed behind axle and set up the filler on rear driver fender. Then i started thinking about the spare tire. this will be a daily so i want it functional, not just "cool".
I do not want the spare just sitting in the bed. so i started re-thinking putting the gas tank under bed and utilizing the S10 spare tire location. granted i may have to raise it some as well as the bed floor (i dont want to see anything hanging below the rear of the truck) i'll also prob add a trailer hitch as well back there.

SO, the questions are, where is your gas tank and spare tire? im not planning on a full size spare, just something to get me to a tire shop if need be.
do i keep the origianl '49 tank location (behind seat) or go with the stock S10 tank or find a better place for the spare tire...?

for ideas, i like to see/hear about your set-up.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
MMM...BRAINS...

Re: S10 swap & gas tank...

also, give me your "pros/cons" on any of the stuff listed above. thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Thadious

I put the S10 in the stock location for the S10, bolted right in and with my cab being 3 1/2" above the frame, it cleared the tank by 1/2".... looks like it belongs there. Going to bring the fill neck out the side of the box on the driver's side (exactly opposite of where a 47 fill neck is). If you want traditional, I think the F**ds have a tank setup designed for a passenger's side fill that might be able to come out the side of the box.

Originally I though about the same as everyone else and going with a center mount behind the rear axle and wanted the fill neck to come out behind the rear center mounted plate. Turns out the heights are all wrong and you can never fill the tank full or it just comes back out (and I didn't want to have a box fill neck).

Just my 2c

Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
BlueJeep

I used the stock s10 tank in mine and popped the filler through the bedside, like Thadious mentioned. It works great and I have the stock s10 spare in the stock s10 spare location. Makes everything simple.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
MMM...BRAINS...

Thanks guys! That's what I'm going with. Didn't think abt the filling issue with under bed and seeing as I've already got the s10 tank...no need to spend more $$$.
How high up did yall mount the bed (floor)?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM...BRAINS... View Post
Thanks guys! That's what I'm going with. Didn't think abt the filling issue with under bed and seeing as I've already got the s10 tank...no need to spend more $$$.
How high up did yall mount the bed (floor)?
Posted via Mobile Device

My cab is 3.5" off the frame, then I mocked up the running boards where I wanted them and used the height of the splash guards to dictate how high the bed was mounted.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Thadious

Whereas I moved my bed and box up 2", lowered the rear fenders back down to where they should be and rolled up a new set of splashguards to make up the gap.

I always thought these trucks looked slightly disproportioned with the cab so much higher up than the box and this helped alot!

Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
MMM...BRAINS...

So far I've set my bed in relation to where the running boards wanted, and now I'm considering push the whole box up cuz I don't want the filler popping thru the bed floor.
What did yall do as far as sending unit for gas gauge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
MMM...BRAINS...

Well, I just put the s10 tank back in and I don't think its gonna work for me. I do want the truck pretty damn low & the tank is to close for comfort to the ground. I think I'm just gonna run stock tank in cab. I really like the idea of under bed behind axle for outta the way & some extra weight added to bed but I really wanna be able to hide spare tire under there. I'm sure ill change my mind abt 10,000 more times. ha but I appreciate ur help guys. Thanks
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
BlueJeep

Assuming you didn't mount your cab super high off the frame you shouldn't have any problems with the tank being too close to the ground. Your running boards should definitely hang lower. Also there are a ton of bagged and body dropped s10's with stock tanks...so I don't think that's going to be a problem.

And you can check out my build, but I used the stock s10 bed floor in the 49 bed, and the filler is below it (just as it was in the s10).

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
MMM...BRAINS...

Mines mounted at abt 3.5" off frame. It's not that its too close to the ground, more so worried road debris hitting it. I do want to be able to cruise pretty low. And yes there are lots of bagged s10, & I've heard lots of stories abt knocking holes in gas tanks...
I'm still debating it tho. I've read thru ur build many times, its been a great help. Like I said, I'm sure ill change my mind a ton b4 I actually do it. Haha I do however plan on using the s10 bed floor as u did.
Thanks,
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device