The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
brans72

69-72 pulley accessories ? for you guys needing help

I am working on a 67 C10 Swb with a 79 350 motor but using brackets from a 70 C10. I know confusing huh . Well most brackets from a 72 C10 power steering,alt,short water pump. I can not find a crank pulley and harmonic balancer for this set up and was wondering if you guys might lead me to wht years I might be able to use with the 72 setup. Thanks in advance Brandon
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: 69-72 pulley accessories ? for you guys needing help

Brandon,
Sounds like you need a crank pulley off of any small block truck from 1967-1972, All small block harmonic balancers have the same pulley mounting surface dimensions so any one should work. it would help if you would post some pictures of all the parts you do have.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

what would help what are the options he had in 1967 there was no factory Air just dealer add on's now here are some pictures to help ya the bottom pulley is 2 peaces and most people have a hard time with this cus by looking at it it looks to be one pulley here look at the pictures
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm not sure but every truck I've seen that had factory air had an add on pulley.They bolted to the Harmonic balancer.I don't know if this is true of all of them but it's something I did take note of.Most looked like the one stsalvage posted.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
brans72

ok guys I go have water pump,water pump pulley, p/s pump pulley, and the alt bracket in picture 4. But what is the top bracket in 4 above the alt 2 piece bracket? So right no to my knowledge will get pictures I need balancer I guess since mine is from 79 and buttom crank pulley. Brandon
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
brans72

I took some measurements tody and wondering if someone can tell me if the crank pulley and balancer will work on this setup. Crank pulley 6 3/4 wide 1 1/4 thick 2 groove and balancer is 6 3/4 wide and 1 1/8 thick. So can I use them or not guys Really NEED help here Brandon
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The brackets in the pic are the stock alternator mount that bolts to the head with the arm atached.

If you're using a balancer from a 1979... you'll need a timing tab or timing cover from that same engine. The timing marks were different in 1979 than they were in the 1967 to 1972 trucks. TDC on the 1979 GMC I had was straight up on the balancer. You had to shine the timing light behind the long water pump to view the timing marks.

As opposed to having the balancer marks off to the side like the earlier model trucks. I believe the timing marks changed when the HEI's came out... around 1974 or 1975.

Edit: then again... the keyway on the crankshaft could be different on the later model engines and use the same balancer.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
hugger6933

Not to be a smart a.. [don't ya just love it when answers start that way] have you considered a serpintine set up? I to am needing a bracket just only one for the steering pump and am thinking of the swap myself. I do have a couple or three complete set up of the serpintine setting around tho and that may sway my thoughts.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
trev1

Here's what I did.... I weht and got a serpentine set-up from the "Parts Yard" for $ 100.00. It included all but the AC Compressor and Alternator. Im not runnin AC and will get a reman Alternator from the parts store. It eliminated all the sourcing of brackets, and the alignment problems. I all bolted right up. No issues...
trev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Did it include a reverse rotation water pump?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
trev1

No I bought a new water pump from the parts store. Could not see risking a new motor on a used pump!!! Way too much $$$$ in it. I don't have pics of the engine with the serpentine assembly on it for some reason..... I can't find them....
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
trev1

I found the pics of my serpentine setup. Hope it helps!
Attached Images